Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello

Good evening folks. New Yorker living in ct. just bought an international 3800 to convert. I own my own sign fabrication business, and thank god have a plethora of contractors, electricians etc on speed dial for help.
Here’s some photos of the bus. Any advice?
Also, looks like my roof has the much desired bump?
Attached Thumbnails
CD140B64-8087-4E54-8F08-9AE7DEB07746.jpg   83A311AF-6EEA-41A7-A626-F9076F37E8DF.jpg   BF3900ED-A083-444C-BAF1-2D13F83A38E9.jpg   CD65A60F-CCBA-49F4-A148-F899C9E8037B.jpg  

studiumarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Welcome...and score! That's a nice looking bus...already not-yellow and all, even. People are going to want to know the details...what engine and transmission you've got, what year it is, did you pick her up and drive her home, what are your plans? I'm not that nosey...but since others are going to ask, you might as well tell me too.

I look forward to seeing where you take her. Having your own skills and the on-call help will be super important. My best advice, as you start out, is this...after you cut or remove or look at any wire or switch...start and run the bus! If you've been reading here, you'll see regular "I did these things and now my bus won't start/run" posts. Don't be that person. But if you do find yourself in that situation, there's lots of help here.

Tools I think every bus owner should have: A Power Probe (it's a brand, so you'll find it). A lug nut torque multiplier (they're well under $100). A good socket and wrench set...with big sizes. Proper wire crimp tools. An angle grinder and lots of cutoff and grinding wheels.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Details attached. Plans are to make it the best tiny house ever and buy a second property in the LI Sound coast and retire early! It’s a 1999, bought it from a church for 1400$. Haven’t brought it home yet. It has 135k on it. Working on the registration and modifying my driveway so I can park this in my back yard while I convert. I’m working on the cdl, might just have it towed from RI to me, but it hasn’t run in over a year so, as per my wife, going to have it 100% serviced before I drive it.
Attached Thumbnails
CD7D46D9-ADA8-457D-8011-C544C673942E.jpg  
Old 01-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
A word of advise. Listen to the wife. If you don't and anything goes wrong...
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hahaha I might own a business but she and the kids are the boss! In the house she’s ok cutting corners.... the bus, she said do it right, I want my tiny house perfect!
Old 01-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

What s2mikon said... and, damn, that's a really nice bus for $1400...I mean, really nice. Bus prices have gone way up in the past few years, so lots of folks are going to be jealous of your buy. Do you know that transmission it's got? That's the last missing bit of info. You've got a solid, well-respected engine and having an older (pre-2004 or so) bus is great. All the bus transmissions are equal...some are just more equal than others. Seriously, though, even the least-well-loved bus transmissions hold up to a ton of abuse.

Tell your wife we think you got a great deal...then bask in the adulation. You're welcome.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Looks like a high-ceiling model for sure. How tall from floor to ceiling?

You're going to find some serious rust on the floor when you get the seats and plywood out. You can see it in the feet of the seats and in the paint peeling around the wheel well. Most likely also on the back wall and around the driver's seat. If you're a metal fabricator it shouldn't be too difficult to repair.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hahahaha
I’ll be at the bus tomorrow with her and the kids, I’ll check the tranny specs when there. Where do I look? Busses aren’t like new cars. How do I check what tranny?
I’ll be documenting the build on my personal Instagram
Studiumarts8
Some stuff (like graphics) might pop up on the business page instead (studiumarts)
Attached Thumbnails
16628B22-7DFB-496A-9ED2-7783F3A4BB0D.jpg  
Old 01-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I already spoke to my welder and said get ready and be nice to me for a personal project! I’m thinking roof deck, but I’m concerned on how structural the roof is. I’d also like to put on a carrying rack for my bike; but need to assess how the frame will support 500lb motorcycle.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry missed answering fully, tad more than 78” floor to mid ceiling
Old 01-29-2021, 09:43 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

The roof and wall framing will most definitely support a properly-done deck...but keep in mind that you're building a roof rack for gear or a solar panel support rack. Every insurer will ask if you have either a roof deck or a wood stove. You do not have a roof deck.

On the side of the transmission there will be a plate riveted on. It will be pretty obvious, as it's riveted inside of a molded lip...it's not like the silly engine labels which are flush and get covered with grease, so you never find them again. It will have the model number. I can also post a photo of different models, if you can't find the plate, which will help you id it. Just let me know...
Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

This is what you're looking for on the tranny...

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-12-26 07.21.05.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	53526
Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I always verify by the tag on the trans, but usually a Thomas will have that data above the windshield on the drivers side as well.

The bus sure looks nice, good luck with your project.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Any advice for firing this up? Hasn’t been started in a year... think a 2019 Honda Pilot would be able to jump it?
Old 01-30-2021, 08:40 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiumarts View Post
Any advice for firing this up? Hasn’t been started in a year... think a 2019 Honda Pilot would be able to jump it?
Hmmmm...I think that bus has a 12V starter, but it might be 24V. We have buses in both flavors. Your Pilot should be able to jump start it, but probably only after you run it at high idle for a while to charge up the bus batteries some. I wouldn't expect it to have enough ooomph to crank your bus fast enough directly. A big part of that equation will be the jumper cables, too...most are crap, really. So, I'd hook up the Pilot battery to one of your two (you probably have 2) bus batteries and let it charge for a bit. And don't get discouraged if your bus cranks slowly but won't start...they need to crank pretty fast, generally, to start...so if it's cranking slowly and won't start then either charge longer or go get new batteries. That may not be a bus engine issue.

Hopefully someone with that bus can chime in and let you (and me) know if your batteries are connected in series (a 24V starter) or parallel (a 12V starter). If you have a 12V starter and the batteries are parallel, then jumping to one battery will charge both batteries. If your batteries are in series, though, then jumping to one battery won't get your system to the 24V needed...but you won't hurt anything by trying.

On a related note...and this surprised me, frankly...the best place I've found for batteries for these beasts is Batteries Plus. Or maybe they're Batteries and Bulbs now? Anyway, their big 8D batteries are cheaper (for good quality) than O'Reilly or any of the other auto parts places.

Diesel fuel lasts a loooong time, so there should be no issues there. With some of the old mechanical diesels, like our Detroit 2-strokes, there are certain safety things to do when starting on that's sat for a long time...because a stuck rack or injector could cause a runaway engine. But that's not an issue for your bus. Certainly you will want to check all the fluid levels and air filter before you start her up, but once you've done that you won't hurt anything by giving her a go..
Old 01-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
I think that bus has a 12V starter, but it might be 24V. We have buses in both flavors.
You have school buses that are 24V? That would be pretty rare.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
High headroom. Not yellow. Not expensive.

Ya done good!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
You have school buses that are 24V? That would be pretty rare.
Well...no. They aren't school buses. I probably overly muddied the waters here, because we also have older coach and transit buses and I was thinking of them too. To be honest, we're fairly new to the school bus side of the bus world so I'm still learning a lot, too. Some of my experience carries over, but not this I guess.

OP...ignore the 24V portion of my comments! That will make things easier.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Just wanted to say thank you to everybody thus far! All of these thoughtful, intelligent responses are going to be very helpful!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

I re-read through your posts and realized we missed the "working on the CDL" comment. Once it's legally titled/registered as an RV or Motorhome a CDL isn't required. While I have a CDL, and recommend that RV/MH owners read the CDL manual, it's not going to be a requirement after you get the registration status changed and it may be more effort that you need to expend.