Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #1

Hello

Hello all. My name is Ken and I live in West PA (Johnstown). Recent life events have forced me to look within and make some serious changes and this lifestyle resonates strongly with me. I have only just started looking into what it will take to make this life a reality.

I am 6'-3", I love to cook and bake, running and weight lifting have become a new passion for me, I have a 4 year old son that will not live with me full time but I do get him on a regular basis, and a 15 year old son that I suspect will be 18 before I complete any kind of build so I need a vehicle that will allow me the headroom I require and living space for both myself and at least my youngest son.

I do not think I will require a full sized bus and short busses seem to be a little low so I've been looking into shuttle busses and Box Trucks. I like the shuttle busses the best. I have a background in drafting and design but I am not an architect so this will be a learning experience for me.

What I need at this point is a site that has the internal dimensions for busses so I ca start planning out what goes where and how much room I will have to work with. Does anything like this exist that is either free or not too expensive?

Miacis4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Most, if not all shuttle, (composite bodied), busses have high headroom to accommodate adult riders vs children in metal bodied school busses.

Not sure if there is any site that lists height for all shuttle manufacturers?

Good luck, and post pics if you get anything...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Welcome! It would be cool to have a database with the dimensions of all kinds of buses on it, but the reason there isn't any such thing is that everybody wants this until they buy their own bus, and then they stop caring about what the dimensions of any other kind of bus are.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miacis4010 View Post
I do not think I will require a full sized bus and short busses seem to be a little low so I've been looking into shuttle busses and Box Trucks. I like the shuttle busses the best.
Not answering your question, just a dab of thought here....

I thought about a box truck, also. Then I though about camping with my pickup truck. Those times it was raining, and muddy and nasty outside, and I wanted to get from the cab to the camper, or visa-versa.

My 2˘
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #5

With a little creative image searches, I was able to get a fairly accurate picture of the available space.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
My RE skoolie is 7'6" wide 6'6" tall. This
is a good starting point for paper doodles.The length you require can be found from there.

Some shuttles haven't any rear wheel wells and can be taller and/or wider than a school bus. Yet some are only van-wide, neck-kinkers. The specifics will come once youve narrowed your selection to a specific year, make, model, and winning bid. Still, they are factorty built to end user specs.

Penetrating between the seams, beam anchor points, alignment with the windows, the vehicles peripherals underneath, the axle placement, emergency exits. Every measurement WILL change with these factors.

Will you be constructing your bus at your home or your business?

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
My RE skoolie is 7'6" wide 6'6" tall. This
is a good starting point for paper doodles.The length you require can be found from there.

Some shuttles haven't any rear wheel wells and can be taller and/or wider than a school bus. Yet some are only van-wide, neck-kinkers. The specifics will come once youve narrowed your selection to a specific year, make, model, and winning bid. Still, they are factorty built to end user specs.

Penetrating between the seams, beam anchor points, alignment with the windows, the vehicles peripherals underneath, the axle placement, emergency exits. Every measurement WILL change with these factors.

Will you be constructing your bus at your home or your business?

My home mostly but I have a brother in law that owns a garage that services large vehicles like farm equipment so I may be able to do a lot of the heavy work there.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #8

I found this site that gives some general dimensions, if anyone is interested...

https://www.tescobus.com/bus-for-sal...terra-transit/