Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

Hello!

Hi Everyone,

My name is John and I’m new to the group. I’m really interested in converting either a sprinter/transit van or a short bus. My family is moving from NJ to FL but I still have 3 1/2 years before I retire so I will be super commuting back and forth every week for the 3 days I have to be in NJ to work. Converting a bus or van would be a fun and more economical place for me to stay while at work. Any advice anyone could give would be great. Specifically, I know the short buses are usually gas what is the maximum life on a well maintained gas school bus engine and which one is the best? What should I expect cost wise for a short bus or van? Also, can you get a vehicle loan on a used school bus? Lastly, any recommendations on any tutorials or people to follow on social media would be awesome! Thank you all so much, I’m excited to “meet” you all.

Ju0409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I am no where near as savvy as many other on here, yet common sense and 50+ years of owning vehicles tells me that a cut away van, which usually have a gas engine, is basically a van.

As a school bus driver, who drives one of these vans, I can tell you that they spend most of their life doing one of two jobs, either driving freeway to get kids in other districts and take them back to our district, or a lot of city driving, stop, go, idle, turn on/off. If it was used for the freeway, thumbs up, if for the city, they go through a lot of mechanical wear and tear (city roads tear them up).

All that said, I think you have to rate it as a normal van for engine/tranny longevity.

My friend owned two Sprinter vans for his business. They require mechanics who specialize in Sprinters to do the job right. His was always in the shop with one thing or another.

More full size, diesel buses are a whole other ballgame.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
What part of NJ? I'm in the Philly area and RV parks/campgrounds around here that will accept skoolies seem to be non-existent (they all have no-older-than-10-years policies for RVs which rules out most school bus conversions). I think living arrangements can be found but all off-the-books/under-the-table.