Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearldovelove View Post
So what is the extra care and feeding that needs to be done

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
When was the last time you talked to someone who has adjusted a set of mechanical valve lifters? You will need to learn how to do it since they will most likely need adjustment every 10K-20K miles. The more stop and go work you drive the most often you will need to adjust the valves.

The engine oil can NOT be any of the newer formulations that don't have the ZDDP in it. Most particularly since your engine has mechanical lifters, if you use oil without ZDDP in it you run the real risk of rounding off all of the corners on your cam shaft. If the label has anything on it that says Low Emissions (LE) do NOT put it into your engine.

Your engine will have the old style canister oil filter. I don't think there ever was a spin on filter for that series of engines. Make sure the old gasket comes out and you use the new one that came with the filter. Make sure the canister is seated properly and cinched down properly. If you don't you will have fresh and clean engine oil spurting out all over the floor. Don't ask me how I know that will happen!

IIRC from looking at your photos you have an oil bath air filter. It needs to be cleaned out and fresh oil added at every oil change. More often if you are in really dirty conditions.

If you have never operated something with a manual choke it can be an interesting learning curve. In hot summer months, not much of a problem. After sitting for a few days in the cold and wet it can be a real challenge. Although my 1965 D200 Camper Special with a wide block 318 started pretty easily no matter how long it sat between starts it could still be a bit of challenge to get things going and to keep things going when it was stone cold.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #22

I like the interior, looking to do the same with my skoolie. (May I borrow your dad? ☺) Very nice bus, when you are done, I know it will be a looker.....
B.Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
When was the last time you talked to someone who has adjusted a set of mechanical valve lifters? You will need to learn how to do it since they will most likely need adjustment every 10K-20K miles. The more stop and go work you drive the most often you will need to adjust the valves.

The engine oil can NOT be any of the newer formulations that don't have the ZDDP in it. Most particularly since your engine has mechanical lifters, if you use oil without ZDDP in it you run the real risk of rounding off all of the corners on your cam shaft. If the label has anything on it that says Low Emissions (LE) do NOT put it into your engine.

Your engine will have the old style canister oil filter. I don't think there ever was a spin on filter for that series of engines. Make sure the old gasket comes out and you use the new one that came with the filter. Make sure the canister is seated properly and cinched down properly. If you don't you will have fresh and clean engine oil spurting out all over the floor. Don't ask me how I know that will happen!

IIRC from looking at your photos you have an oil bath air filter. It needs to be cleaned out and fresh oil added at every oil change. More often if you are in really dirty conditions.

If you have never operated something with a manual choke it can be an interesting learning curve. In hot summer months, not much of a problem. After sitting for a few days in the cold and wet it can be a real challenge. Although my 1965 D200 Camper Special with a wide block 318 started pretty easily no matter how long it sat between starts it could still be a bit of challenge to get things going and to keep things going when it was stone cold.
Well I did just buy the bus and I did not know it had mechanical valve lifters but I will talk to someone and hopefully learn to do it my self.

And okay I wrote my self a note and saved it in my phone for reference on what oil I should be using or rather what it should have in it and what not to use.

As for the choke the most expierence I have with that is dirt bikes but I have had to start this bus using the choke because I try to start it everyday and last week we did have a couple cold days but this week it has been in the triple digits so I haven't needed to use the choke. The previous owner showed me the trick to it so I think I am okay there.
Thank you!

pearldovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bunny View Post
I like the interior, looking to do the same with my skoolie. (May I borrow your dad? ☺) Very nice bus, when you are done, I know it will be a looker.....
Thank you. And depending on where you are located that may be an option, haha. I know it will be amazing when I am done as well!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
So it's Monday, what did you learn about the bus and the clutch situation?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #26

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird & international
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 i.d.i diesel n.a.
Rated Cap: 26
First build of skoolie started as an idea new to the forum

Its been hard work and one thing turns into another hi every one that only understands the crazyness that comes with a skoolie
Crashmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I am your newest big fan… why? Firstly, you are sooo ambitious, jumping into bus living while you are young and able (memories you will always look back on fondly). Secondly, you keep saying "I will learn to do that" and "I am replacing/fixing/building…". Granted there are some things it takes a pro to do but hearing your "can do" attitude is refreshing and inspiring! I'll bet your dad is proud of you! I am proud of you too and I don't even know you. Enjoy the build and I hope it brings you and your baby endless joy!

Oh, and AWESOME bus!
toplessartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

So mechanic didn't come over until today. It's just the pushrod is not long enough I have no idea where this one came from it is obviously something the previous owner tried to rig together and make work but it doesnt. I've called around and my best bet is to try and build one myself but hopefully the right length and proper fitting so I'm about to take it in to napa and see if the can help me.

I also asked him to bleed the brakes which didn't need to be bled apparently and the spongieness of my brakes is coming from the rear brake that is getting wet from the axel leaking. (Sigh) so I have also been calling around to see if anyone in this small town can accommodate doing brakes and fixing the axel seal on my bus. I have talked to some very nice people who kindly have told me no its too big. Also a couple people checked if they could even order brakes for me and they have not found any.
I have called dodge and got some number's for parts places and called them all as well but they are all closed because the are on the east cost and it's 3:00 over here on the west coast.
But I will continue to try my best. As long as I get this pushrod figured out I can drive it. Although I am more worried about the brake than I was before. But I have faith I will figure it out in time.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessartist View Post
I am your newest big fan… why? Firstly, you are sooo ambitious, jumping into bus living while you are young and able (memories you will always look back on fondly). Secondly, you keep saying "I will learn to do that" and "I am replacing/fixing/building…". Granted there are some things it takes a pro to do but hearing your "can do" attitude is refreshing and inspiring! I'll bet your dad is proud of you! I am proud of you too and I don't even know you. Enjoy the build and I hope it brings you and your baby endless joy!

Oh, and AWESOME bus!
Awe thank you. Honestly it was the best option for my family and I. I had a terrible roommate situation going on and we have a pit bull, and with him we can never find a place to rent to us. The roomates situation being he bailed out on rent so I spontaneously decided to put my rent money into buying this bus. A little crazy but totally worth it. I am on a bit of a time crunch though, I am supposed to be off the property I'm on by the 30th. [emoji15] but I think we should have it together by then I am working hard to get it all done!
Everyone on this forum has been so kind, I am grateful for everyone's information and kind words.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Okay so I got the pushrod figured out. But now, the Kutcher is super hard to press down it seems like it's engaging but it's not what I would imagine it should be doing. Idk what to do next. I feel like just saying it's fine and moving on to the next thing. But it still starts with or with out the clutch pushed in. When the mechanic came over he sincerely thought all that needed to be done after he bled everything and looked at it was the proper length pushrod. So maybe Ivery just been assuming I should have more give on the clutch than I do?.... I'm kinda stumped now.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Okay so I got the pushrod figured out. But now, the Kutcher is super hard to press down it seems like it's engaging but it's not what I would imagine it should be doing. Idk what to do next. I feel like just saying it's fine and moving on to the next thing. But it still starts with or with out the clutch pushed in. When the mechanic came over he sincerely thought all that needed to be done after he bled everything and looked at it was the proper length pushrod. So maybe Ivery just been assuming I should have more give on the clutch than I do?.... I'm kinda stumped now.

*clutch not Kutcher

Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Can you describe how it feels that isn't what you imagined? Should feel more or less like any other clutch, maybe a bit heavier push.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Can you describe how it feels that isn't what you imagined? Should feel more or less like any other clutch, maybe a bit heavier push.

Well every other clutch I have driven has at least a couple inches and isn't crazy hard to push down. I can barely push it with my hand and it only move's like a 1/4 inch. The slave is moving about the same amount but it looks like it should move at least another 1/2 inch. I'm gonna figure out if I can post a video or not and maybe seeing it can be better explaination

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Regarding it starting without the clutch being depressed:

The prior owner probably jumpered the switch that is intended to keep that from happening. That would allow them to start the bus while in gear.

Regarding the Pit Bull and renting... If landlords could screen for stupid people then we probably not have trouble with breed specific restrictions. IMHO: It is not the breed of the dog that is at issue it is the way SOME people raise their animals.

Some of the sweetest dog I have ever been around have bee pit bull's and rottweiler's.

Don't blame the kids for their parents failure....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Regarding it starting without the clutch being depressed:

The prior owner probably jumpered the switch that is intended to keep that from happening. That would allow them to start the bus while in gear.

Regarding the Pit Bull and renting... If landlords could screen for stupid people then we probably not have trouble with breed specific restrictions. IMHO: It is not the breed of the dog that is at issue it is the way SOME people raise their animals.

Some of the sweetest dog I have ever been around have bee pit bull's and rottweiler's.

Don't blame the kids for their parents failure....
There's a switch somewhere that allows that to happen? Can I make it normal agian? And how do I do that? where is it?

And I absolutely agree I actually grew up breeding rottweilers it wasn't till I was older that I learned people thought they were mean they are the most loyal and sweet dogs. And same with pit Bulls they were actually bread to be nanny dogs! My pit is amazing with my son and he wouldn't hurt a fly!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I can't seem to upload a video unfortunately.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
I can't seem to upload a video unfortunately.

upload video on youtube and just share link here.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
upload video on youtube and just share link here.
Alright not the best video in the world but hopefully it shows what it's doing. I can take a video of the slave cylinders movement tomorrow
https://youtu.be/cEuOT2Ti7uA

Old 06-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

I have not encountered any medium or heavy duty truck or bus that required you to push in the clutch to start. The only vehicles I have ever seen that had that lock out were newer light duty trucks and small cars. So not having a clutch lock out is not something to get all excited about.

IIRC the pressure needed to engage the clutch was about 35 lbs. It is virtually impossible to engage the clutch with your hand. Even if you are a large economy sized person like me the clutch pedal won't move very much if you are pushing on it with your hand.

In regards to your brakes--some of the parts are relatively easy to find. But some of the brakes parts are made up out of unobtainium. Springs, hardware, and wheel cylinders are fairly interchangeable in the medium truck world of the '50's-'80's. The real unicorn parts are going to be the hard parts like brake drums. I can remember a school district having to machine some brake drums to fit in order to put a bus back into service. And that was in about 1985.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I have not encountered any medium or heavy duty truck or bus that required you to push in the clutch to start. The only vehicles I have ever seen that had that lock out were newer light duty trucks and small cars. So not having a clutch lock out is not something to get all excited about.

IIRC the pressure needed to engage the clutch was about 35 lbs. It is virtually impossible to engage the clutch with your hand. Even if you are a large economy sized person like me the clutch pedal won't move very much if you are pushing on it with your hand.

In regards to your brakes--some of the parts are relatively easy to find. But some of the brakes parts are made up out of unobtainium. Springs, hardware, and wheel cylinders are fairly interchangeable in the medium truck world of the '50's-'80's. The real unicorn parts are going to be the hard parts like brake drums. I can remember a school district having to machine some brake drums to fit in order to put a bus back into service. And that was in about 1985.
Okay so the clutch is fine?
https://youtu.be/_DGCOVxpo3E
there's a video of the slave cylinder. And I thought it had more room to go but it really doesn't so I guess it's all working? You really don't need the clutch to start though? We will just use it shifting?

Yeah I feel like they are going to have to take it apart and then match it, or rebuild it/ have it made. It's probably going to be a pretty penny.