Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I checked out the video. If that's all the play you have in the clutch then something is likely wrong (as you presumed). The clutch should practically go to the floor. If you can't get it there then something is rusted in place or misadjusted.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I checked out the video. If that's all the play you have in the clutch then something is likely wrong (as you presumed). The clutch should practically go to the floor. If you can't get it there then something is rusted in place or misadjusted.
Okay thank you I will have to have the mechanic come back out then

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
pearldovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If the master and slave cylinders are mismatched that could lead to strange behavior. You mentioned before that the slave cylinder had been changed, are you certain the master wasn't also changed?

Your pedal should go pretty much to the floor under normal circumstances. That lowers the pressure required at the pedal by spreading the move over a longer travel. If your short travel push is actually moving the slave to its maximum amount, it could be a mismatched set.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
If the master and slave cylinders are mismatched that could lead to strange behavior. You mentioned before that the slave cylinder had been changed, are you certain the master wasn't also changed?

Your pedal should go pretty much to the floor under normal circumstances. That lowers the pressure required at the pedal by spreading the move over a longer travel. If your short travel push is actually moving the slave to its maximum amount, it could be a mismatched set.
The slave and master I replaced from what I found to be originals. The master that was in it when I got the bus was obviously a replacement that wasn't correct plus when I bought the slave cylinder and master cylinder I bought them together at napa. Rust sounds really likely to me like maybe the plate isn't rusted to something but if it has been like this for awhile there is rust in the way of letting it move further? Idk if that's a possibility or not, but my mechanic should be able to come over on Friday and maybe he will be able to figure it out.
I found a clutch I just haven't ordered it yet because I was unsure if I needed it.
I'm feeling like I need a new one agian but really hoping it's just some adjustments like you say even if it is that the slave cylinder and master don't match that would be better than the whole clutch!

Currently I'm just trying to find a close place to park our bus until we can get everything fixed properly, since I need to be out of where I am by the end of the day on friday..

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

So if it ends up that I need to replace the clutch I found this one but I don't know if it will work I would want to be sure it was the right one before I ordered it https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75109

Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Also I found this. It says the flywheel is interchangeable, could that mean the clutch is too?...I hope so because the only thing close to finding one is that clutch I posted before. I feel like this is the most difficult engine for me to have ever come across. [emoji20]

Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

I have found a place that can supply me with a clutch I believe I'm not getting the right movement from the fork like there is blockage of some sort everything else is in working order since this means the transmission will have to be taken apart anyway I'm going to just replace the clutch so I have a new one in there.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Here is some information on the Poly 318.

It is a great engine and should move your bus down the road really well.

I know the one I had in a 3/4-ton pickup had more power than any other pickup I have ever driven. Including a Ford with a 460.

Video: What Is A Mopar 318 Polysphere And How Come Nobody Likes It? - Street Muscle

The problems you are most probably having in regards to finding the correct clutch is the clutch in your bus is NOT going to be the same as what was in a car or light truck. It most likely is much larger. You will be best served by taking the old clutch, cover, and throw out bearing with you to the parts store so they can actually see what you have.

You may have to consider refacing the flywheel if it has been damaged from being stuck to the clutch face.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

I know the one I had in a 3/4-ton pickup had more power than any other pickup I have ever driven. Including a Ford with a 460.

Video: What Is A Mopar 318 Polysphere And How Come Nobody Likes It? - Street Muscle

The problems you are most probably having in regards to finding the correct clutch is the clutch in your bus is NOT going to be the same as what was in a car or light truck. It most likely is much larger. You will be best served by taking the old clutch, cover, and throw out bearing with you to the parts store so they can actually see what you have.

You may have to consider refacing the flywheel if it has been damaged from being stuck to the clutch face.
Yes I agree with all of that I found this place called hr clutch and they actually specialize in clutches and they had an old catalog that they were able to find my bus in may I'm going to take pictures and measurements of everything before I order the clutch so that it is they right one they are pretty sure they have it in Stock but would be able to manufacture one for me if they dont. They could also get me a new fly wheel but I would most likely just get it resurfaced. I do think this engine will be great it needs some things to be running at its best but from what I have learned it is a great motor.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Have you found a place to move the bus to? And is it and to be driven reasonably now?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
There should be a serial number on your clutch if you take the inspection plate off. I ordered my clutch right from napa, no problems. Went right in. It was harder finding someone to turn the flywheel then it was to find a clutch
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

Yes I agree with all of that I found this place called hr clutch and they actually specialize in clutches and they had an old catalog that they were able to find my bus in may I'm going to take pictures and measurements of everything before I order the clutch so that it is they right one they are pretty sure they have it in Stock but would be able to manufacture one for me if they dont. They could also get me a new fly wheel but I would most likely just get it resurfaced. I do think this engine will be great it needs some things to be running at its best but from what I have learned it is a great motor.
Quote:
Have you found a place to move the bus to? And is it and to be driven reasonably now?

I'm moving it to a family members house that is a couple miles down the road. Until we can get it fixed and my dad is going to drive it there. The clutch engages a little bit but not much at all

Old 06-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Right on girl. You're an inspiration! I've been following and glad to see you found a place to park it. I'm in upstate NY in Orange County.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get it all worked out. I was a single Mom for 10 yrs and they were our happiest years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Right on girl. You're an inspiration! I've been following and glad to see you found a place to park it. I'm in upstate NY in Orange County.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get it all worked out. I was a single Mom for 10 yrs and they were our happiest years.

I do have my fiance but we are working hard to make sure we can get this all done so we can actually drive our bus around

Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Lol you just broke a bunch of bus owner hearts there.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

lol

Old 07-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Why is that? Isn't it still awesome that a young little family is doing all of this together?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

This has been a really fascinating thread!
davehearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearldovelove View Post
Why is that? Isn't it still awesome that a young little family is doing all of this together?

Oh of course, I'm just teasing. Did you get your bus moved?
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Why is that? Isn't it still great that it's a young little family living on a bus
Quote:
Oh of course, I'm just teasing. Did you get your bus moved?
Yes it was an all day adventure because sometime in the last week or so someone (I have an idea as to who it was but no proof, most likely our ex room mate that we kicked out he's the only person that we have any issues with or ever have had any issues with) had put something in our gas tank and it took us a bit to figure out, once we did we had to syphon all the gas out which it had a full tank and we cleaned the lines and put new gas in it. Then we were able to move it. I'm going to be replacing spark plugs tomorrow and fixing and exhaust leak. Then my mechanic is coming over Thursday to start doing the clutch get down to the bottom of the problem and get what we need, after that we should be on our hopefully in the next couple of weeks