Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all my name is Megan I am 21 and have a 2 year old son.

I am hoping someone here can give me a bit of education on my 1965 dodge s400 chassi school bus. What I have been told is it has a 318 motor and it's either a 5.2l or 5.3l. My problem is that the motor size and year of the bus body don't match up. The person. I bought it from power shifted from Reno nevada to placerville california which is roughly 150 miles. He believed the clutch just needed to be bled but digging further in i have replaced the master cylinder and the slave cylinder but I am still not getting it to engage properly I was told I may need a new clutch so I have been in search of one and it's been about a week with no luck thus far. I have a mechanic coming on Monday to see if it really is the clutch. So I suppose my question is if anyone can give me any insight on this motor size and year of bus. From what I can tell it is very rare. Which is becoming an unfortunate ordeal for me. As I need it to drive properly since it is becoming my home. I have the inside converted enough to be comfortable and store the things I need and have many plans for it I just need to get this clutch thing figured out. So any insight would be very much appreciated. I've added some pictures for all who love busses and some pictures to give better info about the bus.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

pearldovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If your bus has the original motor, and it is indeed a small block gas chrysler engine, it would likely be an "A block" motor which has a few different displacements, including 318. In theory, any of these would have been a drop-in replacement for the original motor were it to be changed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A_engine

Honestly, if they did change the motor, who knows what they changed it to! I don't see any badges on the valve covers, which is where I'd be looking.

Were you able to identify the transmission? Some combinations are more likely than others, there may be a plaque on the side of it.

Have you tried contacting Bluebird? They may be able to give you info from the VIN.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
If your bus has the original motor, and it is indeed a small block gas chrysler engine, it would likely be an "A block" motor which has a few different displacements, including 318. In theory, any of these would have been a drop-in replacement for the original motor were it to be changed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A_engine

Honestly, if they did change the motor, who knows what they changed it to! I don't see any badges on the valve covers, which is where I'd be looking.

Were you able to identify the transmission? Some combinations are more likely than others, there may be a plaque on the side of it.

Have you tried contacting Bluebird? They may be able to give you info from the VIN.
I just tried to look at the transition but it's covered in grease so even if there was somthing I don't think I would be able to see it. It obviously needs some new seals possibly more done to it as well. I have not tried contacting blue bird but I will now I didn't know I could! Thank you!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Indeed that 1960s grease has gotten quite used to being there and won't come off without a fight.

Did you build out the interior yourself?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Indeed that 1960s grease has gotten quite used to being there and won't come off without a fight.

Did you build out the interior yourself?
Yeah it definitely needs some tlc. But I knew that when I bought it so I'm not to concerned with that. Itell take time but eventually I hope to have everything brand new in it, just for the time being I want to temporarily fix what is already there.
Yes with the help of my dad we converted the inside in 3 days it was empty already it did have the stove in it but all the counters, cabinets and beds we did.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Pictures look neat. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I use to have a 1973 dodge class c rv and it had a 360 were is the disturbator? We're all the spark plug wires go to the cap, rear drivers side might be 360.

Also look on the drivers side of the engine below the exhaust manifold behind the drivers front tire sometimes there is numbers there 318 360 etc

That's an awesome rig love the vintage stuff

Also check here http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/refe...ngnumbers1.php
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
I use to have a 1973 dodge class c rv and it had a 360 were is the disturbator? We're all the spark plug wires go to the cap, rear drivers side might be 360.

Also look on the drivers side of the engine below the exhaust manifold behind the drivers front tire sometimes there is numbers there 318 360 etc

I don't see any numbers but agian it is VERY greasy. Also it's getting a bit dark outside , I can try and look agian tomorrow.
It is an awesome rig I am in love with it and I can't wait to make it even better!
I am in love with the body. It needs some paint but the style is great!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post

Oh and another thing is I am solely going off of what the previous owner told me the motor is.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The 318 and 360 were *VERY* common motors back in the day, the former being a 5.2L and latter being 5.9L. Both were in production for many, many years, and were produced in school bus and RV variants (I have no idea what the differences are). It should be very easy to find parts for this engine.

I wouldn't get into tearing apart the transmission just yet to replace the clutch. Some of these older hydraulic clutches needed some effort to bleed, and more to the point, it had been parked for ... how long? The clutch disk may be sticking to the flywheel and/or pressure plate. (I re-read the post and see it was driven with a non-releasing clutch). If the clutch isn't slipping, then you do *NOT* need a new clutch (yet). It could be out of adjustment (some don't have adjustments, some are self-adjusting, unlikely if the clutch has been in a while and was working fine at some point before), or the release bearing/forks need work (I had this happen on an old Peterbilt, the release fork assembly came apart and simply needed to be reassembled). A clutch disk can shatter and expand between the pressure plate and flywheel (uncommon, unless it was way over it's RPM limits, like if someone dropped it into 2nd instead of 4th).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The 318 and 360 were *VERY* common motors back in the day, the former being a 5.2L and latter being 5.9L. Both were in production for many, many years, and were produced in school bus and RV variants (I have no idea what the differences are). It should be very easy to find parts for this engine.

I wouldn't get into tearing apart the transmission just yet to replace the clutch. Some of these older hydraulic clutches needed some effort to bleed, and more to the point, it had been parked for ... how long? The clutch disk may be sticking to the flywheel and/or pressure plate. (I re-read the post and see it was driven with a non-releasing clutch). If the clutch isn't slipping, then you do *NOT* need a new clutch (yet). It could be out of adjustment (some don't have adjustments, some are self-adjusting, unlikely if the clutch has been in a while and was working fine at some point before), or the release bearing/forks need work (I had this happen on an old Peterbilt, the release fork assembly came apart and simply needed to be reassembled). A clutch disk can shatter and expand between the pressure plate and flywheel (uncommon, unless it was way over it's RPM limits, like if someone dropped it into 2nd instead of 4th).
It totally starts up no problem and would drive right now, I just won't drive it how it is.

Okay well that makes me feel a bit better about things. So hopefully it is something along the lines of what you are saying it could be, and when my mechanic comes over on Monday he will be able to fix it for me. That would be really amazing. I would have to agree taking the transmission apart is something I would really like to aviod. It's wierd to me that my mechanic didn't try to look at it before actually embarking on finding a clutch for it.

I really should figure all this stuff out for myself so I can just do the work.

I just wonder why he and I are having such a hard time finding a clutch though if it really is so common. I've called around and not been able to find anything.

Well anyway I think you have eased my mind a bit and informed me on many things I was not aware of and I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Is the clutch operated by a separate, stand alone master cylinder? If so, they are typically very small compared to the brake unit.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Is the clutch operated by a separate, stand alone master cylinder? If so, they are typically very small compared to the brake unit.
Well what was on there was not right at all I found the original still in the bus and compared to the one he put in there it was at least twice the size. As for the brake master I do not belive it is the correct one either and I'll probably be replacing it as well or at least bleed it and see how it does because my breaks are engaging but pretty much to the floor before they do. I really don't understand how he drove it safely as far as he did.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

What you have in that bus is not the 318/340/360 that was used by Mopar for years and years.

What you have is the old style wide block 318.

It is called the wide block because of the way in which the heads are mounted. On the newer engines the heads were mounted closer in which is why they were called the narrow block.

The 318 wide block was a powerhouse. It would out pull the GM 348/409 and the Ford 390/428. Which is why Mopar did not offer a big block engine in any of their trucks until the late '60's--they didn't need to!

The wide block requires some care and feeding the newer engines do not require. Among many of the differences, the wide block had mechanical lifters which require adjustment once in a while.

I am sure that if you go to NAPA or CARQUEST and tell them you have a medium duty Dodge with a wide block 318 they should be able to find the parts you need.

By the way, virtually no parts will interchange between the old wide block or the newer narrow block engines.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What you have in that bus is not the 318/340/360 that was used by Mopar for years and years.

What you have is the old style wide block 318.

It is called the wide block because of the way in which the heads are mounted. On the newer engines the heads were mounted closer in which is why they were called the narrow block.

The 318 wide block was a powerhouse. It would out pull the GM 348/409 and the Ford 390/428. Which is why Mopar did not offer a big block engine in any of their trucks until the late '60's--they didn't need to!

The wide block requires some care and feeding the newer engines do not require. Among many of the differences, the wide block had mechanical lifters which require adjustment once in a while.

I am sure that if you go to NAPA or CARQUEST and tell them you have a medium duty Dodge with a wide block 318 they should be able to find the parts you need.

By the way, virtually no parts will interchange between the old wide block or the newer narrow block engines.
Thank you that is great information!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Nice Bus!!! Good luck on the repairs!
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
Bus Geek

As cowlitzcoach noted, that engine will require a bit of extra care and feeding. Among other things, if the heads haven't been rebuilt with hardened valve guides and seats, you'll need to add lead additive to the fuel. Been a while since I've had to remind anyone of that one!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
As cowlitzcoach noted, that engine will require a bit of extra care and feeding. Among other things, if the heads haven't been rebuilt with hardened valve guides and seats, you'll need to add lead additive to the fuel. Been a while since I've had to remind anyone of that one!
Do you know how often I will need to do that or is it just a one time thing?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Not true!

Mopar, like IHC, had hardened valve seats long before it was necessary.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Not true!

Mopar, like IHC, had hardened valve seats long before it was necessary.
So what is the extra care and feeding that needs to be done