Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #1

Hello All! Newbie from Kansas City

I have what started its life as a 2003 International 4400 box-truck with a 230 hp dt466 and 6-spd manual. I hope you don't think less of me for not starting with a schoolbus. Even more so I hope no one is upset with me posting here. It was a good jumping off point for what I wanted and free (mostly so, with a blown motor). I think my knowledge and questions should translate appropriately.

I have swapped to a carhauler rear suspension to lower frame height and provide air ride. I swapped to 265/75-19.5 low-pro tires and wheels with accompanying brakes to clear the 19.5 wheels. Along with the lowered front end, I dropped the frame height ~6" to keep it out of the air and make for easier unloading.

The frame was shortened when I swapped suspension, I regeared and aligned the driveline at ride-height. Next, I built a small sleeper/crew-cab with a jack knife couch and attached it to the cab. Lastly I purchased a 12' flatbed and attached that with appropriate hitches. The picture has it's current state. I have many more upgrades planned and many more parts to attach.

About me, I grew up in a family owned diesel truck shop. Now I work as a software developer. We've built several trailers and camper/rv/toter-type vehicles from semi-trucks for ourselves at the shop over the years. I am proficient with most types of fabrication, vehicle electronics, and overall parts swapping. . . Just don't expect much quality carpentry advice from my end. I really enjoy working with electronics and fabrication. I can fix just about anything with a laptop, a couple of wrenches, and a welder when appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
PANO_20200912_194239.vr.jpg  

TruckMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Very nice, quite a bit of work you pulled of there on your " freebie"
Is there a connection between your cab and the sleeper behind? Or..can there be?
Good luck

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote