Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Smile Hello and Please Help!

New Member here. In the Dallas (TX) area. Looking to join the Skoolie Lifestyle asap! I need to find a company that sells fully converted skoolies, or does conversions for a reasonable price. I am unable to do the work myself. Any help would be appreciated.

BusItBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
The people that convert buses into homes call them "Motorhomes". They are for sale everywhere by the hundreds.

Here is one for $5,500 with 39,000 miles (not 390,000)

Or we step up to $13,000 for newer one with 60k miles,

Or how about $30,000 for one almost new with 15k miles..
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
The people that convert buses into homes call them "Motorhomes". They are for sale everywhere by the hundreds.

Here is one for $5,500 with 39,000 miles (not 390,000)

Or we step up to $13,000 for newer one with 60k miles,

Or how about $30,000 for one almost new with 15k miles..
None of those were ever a bus.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Wanderlodge.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think the point is that if you dont do any of the work then just go get a motorhome..

theres something to be said for that.. .. from what ive seen most peoiple;'s skoolies are works of art, skill, and custom outfitting.. if you wakeup one morning and theres a puddle of water on the floor. you yourself know right where to go to start lookign for the source.. if you are the second owner of someone's skoolie, unless you took the time to go through it finely with its previous owner to document how its built, then you have no idea.. and if you arent handy to fix or build stuff.. you cant easily take a custom skoolie to a camping world and say "I have a leak in the kitchen plumbing somewhere"..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
Yeah, Paying to have your skoolie built for you confuses me??
Expensive, you get a shitty product or just straight up scammed, and then people are surprised they are unable to sell it for the 50K it cost them to get it converted.

Just get a motorhome.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It might be good for you to look for someone selling their already-converted skoolie (and not for the alternate universe prices on Facebook). They often sell for a discount on the materials cost and nothing for all the labor that went into them. The downsides are that they won't be exactly what you want, they were probably poorly done in at least some respects, and there's a good chance they're being sold because the builder ran into expensive mechanical problems.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Perhaps it would help to elaborate as to why you cannot do the work yourself?
This is kind of a DIY community.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
There's plenty of people online (fb and other platforms) looking for suckers (I mean customers) to sell them a converted school bus that they purchased for $2-3k, added $10k worth of parts and several hundred hours of labor for $60-70k

Maybe you should reach out.

Just be prepared for the cost of preventative maintence for a heavy duty diesel (tires, brakes, greasing the suspension components) and the $$$ cost of any unexpected engine blow up (since buses rarely ever come with maintenance history)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: INTL
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466e/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 72
I’m afraid I must agree. I would love a skoolie but I am not handy so I’m open the the idea of buying a motor home or wanderlodge like those pictured above. I can just see myself buying a bus and RUINING the darn thing, cutting holes in it and making it leaky/rusty, trying to put walls and they fall down, etc.!

And I’m so darn weak. I’m disabled, I can’t do too much heavy labor. Were I 30 years younger, we wouldn’t be having this convo. So to be realistic, I think LIVING in the skoolie would not be the problem for me. I have been homeless; I can live anywhere. And I don’t mind repairs or hard work, it’s not that, I love to fix Things once I know how it works! My husband and I used to wrench on his old Mercury every weekend.

I refuse to pay the prices people are charging for skoolies, I mean, 60-75K for something you can’t even insure?!?? It’s madness.

Edit: a word
TransFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
for about the price of many of the failed skoolies I've seen sold you can get bus already converted BY BLUEBIRD.
The Wanderlodge is my ultimate skoolie, and I'll own one one of these days. Sooner than later.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The RV market right now is absolutely spiked.. CoVID has ignited the idea of people being able to eat sleep and travel as a family unit with minimal exposure .. theres campers in my storage place that are out all the time this year when I really wondered previous if they were abandoned .. there are less RVs on the market. Many people who were selling theirs decided to keep them. Dealers are charging premium as are private sellers. So now is likely a bad time to be looking for a decent deal on a already converted bus or even a regular RV. Of course the reality of RV ownership hasn’t hit the Noobies yet so I’ll expect things to price down a bit in a few months to maybe a year depending on CoVID and vaccines as well
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #13

Hi, we are selling our skoolie. Please call or text (605)521-5655 and we would be happy to talk to you more about it and send you pictures/videos.
K_Brofte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #14

Please Help

Hi everyone. My daughter n I lost our family home of 23yrs, (through no fault of our own), and are living in a homeless shelter right now with 2 service animals. Having trouble finding affordable housing and we can't afford a monthly payment on my income. House/apartments too expensive. We do have some cash from a settlement, and are looking for our dream off grid skoolie to start our new life over. Anyone know of anyone selling at a descent price, please, please, please email me asap. Tysm and many blessings to you all. 😇🙏 Alyssa brightmoonbh7@yahoo.com
Brightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion company, skoolie conversion, skoolie for sale, skoolie help