Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Hello and question

What's up folks I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a bus and was wondering what ya'll think of the Genesis chassis, Right now there is one in a local auction current bid is $1250 it's a 1995 82 passenger with a dt466 that has a "rough idle" and 165k miles on it, any thoughts on how much would be too much for this bus?

Thanks
G

ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

You haven't given enough information to be able to give an informed opinion.

Generally speaking a rough idle could be caused by one of any number of issues with most of them fuel related.

Some fuel related issues can be ironed out by running a several tanks of fuel with new filters and some fuel additives that can clean injectors.

It could mean you would need a new set of fuel injectors (don't just change one at a time because you will end up changing all of them one at a time sooner or later and then have to redo the first ones once again).

It could also mean a weak cylinder due to a bad/broken rings, leaking head gasket, etc--repairs of which could run in excess of $10K depending upon what needs to be fixed.

Regardless, at auction it isn't worth much more than scrap prices and certainly not much more than $2K.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Interesting info, is there a "dummies guide to bus buying" Somewhere? There is a constant stream of school district auctions near me and buses go pretty cheap, I have an idea of what motor/trans I would prefer and know your standard vehicle what to look for, just not bus specific things, currently there are 49 on the block ranging from 1981 waynes to 1996 thomas'

thanks
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Please post info on where you're looking, esp. stuff not listed on PublicSurplus or GovDeals. TIA
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote