Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Hello and Question

Hey Everyone, I'm from Vancouver Island British Columbia, just quit my job and am heading on the road to Mexico/Central America. I'm thinking some sort of skoolie is the coolest way to do this and I have a few options. There is an already converted 82 International 1853 for sale in town and it looks pretty sweet. Probably a pig on diesel, but does anyone know how reliable these are, or what I should watch out for?

My other option is a 96 E350 minbus with a 7.3 liter. Not as big and would need to be camperized, but probably cheaper on gas, more reliable and easier to get fixed?

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Looking forward to hitting the road.

dougabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougabbot View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm from Vancouver Island British Columbia, just quit my job and am heading on the road to Mexico/Central America. I'm thinking some sort of skoolie is the coolest way to do this and I have a few options. There is an already converted 82 International 1853 for sale in town and it looks pretty sweet. Probably a pig on diesel, but does anyone know how reliable these are, or what I should watch out for?

My other option is a 96 E350 minbus with a 7.3 liter. Not as big and would need to be camperized, but probably cheaper on gas, more reliable and easier to get fixed?

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Looking forward to hitting the road.
We all complain about fuel economy, but an F250 pulling a 5th Wheel, or a large RV doesn't get any better, and often worse.

10 to 11 mpg hauling a small apartment down the road is just the cost of doing business.

Good luck with your venture.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote