Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Hello and troubleshooting

Hello to all in the community. I wanted to start off by asking for some help.

I was fortunate enough to be offered a 1985 international 6.9L diesel bus for free. Catch is I have to get it running. I drained oil added new. Same with fuel and the bus will heat up glow plugs when I turn ignition all I hear is a loud clunking noise. Yes the bus has been sitting for about 4 to 5 years. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind I am not a mechanic by any means but have decent common sense.

jrtripp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It could be a bad ground, but if your glow plugs are working you've likely already eliminated that problem. I'm guessing you've got a good battery in it?

I'd look at the starter, basically by removing it for testing and making sure the connections are all good when it's put back in. The clunking is likely the starter bendix trying to engage the starter, but the starter isn't turning so it just clunks when it hits the flywheel. Just my guess.

It's kind of hard to say from a distance, and I'm sure there will be many opinions here within a few days.

Was it running when parked?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #3

The owner said that it was running when he parked it. Just that he bent a drive shaft hanger. Not sure if that's the proper term for it. But I've removed that. Will replace if I get motor started. And yes I put 2 brand new commercial batteries on this morning. I was just now able to get a wrench on the main rod behind the fan and turn it a little.

So I'm guessing the motor is not seized up. Will be looking at started but running out of daylight. Appreciate the speedy response.

Also this will become a party bus in a college town if I get it running.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

That sounds fun.

Yeah, you can start a parked diesel up after 20 years. That's what i like about them. I don't think you should have any concerns about your engine being locked up.
It's pretty easy to take the starter out. Usually three large bolts and from three to a handful of wires depending on the vehicle. Take it to an auto shop to have it tested, for free I believe. It's probably going to need some work, or maybe you can find another starter for cheap.

What a good score. The bent drive shaft hanger won't hurt anything unless it's rubbing the driveshaft. Just bend it back into place if you can.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

It was definitely rubbing. And yeah just now running out of usable light. Try some more work on it tomorrow.

Looking forward to sharing the transition of this bus with yall.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Test the batteries first.....glows don't require as much power as a starter does. A bad cell in a battery will still give it enough power to turn on the lights, but not turn the flywheel.

I'd do that before pulling anything off of it.

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

The batteries are brand new purchased this morning. I would hope that they are good.

My focus tomorrow will be the starter. And hopefully that'll get it going.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

If you've got a multi-meter or other battery tester it wouldn't hurt to look for a voltage drop in one of the batteries. It's unlikely since they're new, but entirely possible. Where it grounds onto the frame is a common place to get a partial connection. This all ties in with Docsgsxr's diagnosis. It's a lack of power getting to the starter, or the starter itself. Bad batteries, bad ground or bad starter. I would make sure the ground is cleaned and reattached metal on metal so it's good for another 20 years.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Good idea. Come to think of it I hadn't even looked to see where they were grounded I just noticed that I got power and that was good enough at the time. That will be the first thing I check when I get back to it tomorrow
Old 03-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Bad ground. And if its not a bad ground, its a bad ground still.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote