Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3L FE
Hello! Bought my first bus - need insurance to dtive home

Hello!
Long time lurker, first time poster-- fan of this forum

Just bought my bus in OK-- 1991 Bluebird All American 32-ft with an 8.3L Cummins (FE)/Allison MT643, old prison transport orginally from GA, and gutted by an OK family. (I'll fill in my specs shortly if my cell reception holds). Driving over now for a few (hopefully) final minor repairs to get it street safe/ legal-- brake lights, tail lights, oil pressure gauge-- it otherwise seems to be in great mechanical shape. My next step is to drive it back to Virginia where i'll park it for conversion on my friend's farm in Culpeper.

However, have not been successful finding insurance for the drive home. I tried Debbie Ramirez, as she was recommended here and she tried to help me out but was unsuccessful. She said that policies that she arranged in the past for people with buses-- commercial vehicle for personal use and then rv insurance, are no longer possible. I'm waiting to hear back from two other VA agents, but neither seemed optimistic.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Lu
Possible bus name: Penny the Battle Bus

LuCasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Your existing insurance might cover you for just getting it home

but be sure to carry paperwork to show if asked.

kelly newsome https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-just-got-my-vermont-registration-32574.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/u...ion-29088.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

Got a quote that looks reasonable! Will know for sure in a couple hours and update then.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, John!

I tried calling my car insurance agent and was told i do not have temp coverage for a newly purchased bus, but perhaps i should have checked the contract myself.

And i believe that i did read thru the two threads you suggested a little while ago, but will take another look. I'm definitely leaning towards registering for a VT RV title when i'm further along in my conversion.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCasper View Post

I tried calling my car insurance agent and was told i do not have temp coverage for a newly purchased bus, but perhaps i should have checked the contract myself.

And i believe that i did read thru the two threads you suggested a little while ago, but will take another look. I'm definitely leaning towards registering for a VT RV title when i'm further along in my conversion.
I'm with State Farm, they insure for liability ANY vehicle I buy for 7 days. Including the bus that they would not insure. I know it works because I hit a light pole at the first gas fill when I bought my bus. I was covered, but a claim to the station owner was denied.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #6

Thanks for that helpful and crazy anecdote, Marc-- I'll keep that in mind for future new vehicle purchases and read the fine print for my car insurance.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #7

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Hey!

Like you, I also just purchased a bus and I am in Culpeper.

Were you able to resolve your insurance issue? I am having difficulties as well and any local advice would be helpful!
dcs0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:

I know there are a lot of people on here that suggest using a VT registration. I can't speak for your home state but I think most states have similar laws for just about everything. In Maryland the law states that you have 30 days from the date you take up residency to register your vehicle in Md. There are exceptions for Military and students. I now live in Ohio which has similar laws. Now, I'm pretty sure that the local police are not too concerned about this...but, when one of your neighbors gets an attitude about your bus and starts stirring the pot, having your bus (er-RV) properly registered will save you a lot of grief. (my 2 cents)
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

new here just got a 2001 blue bird tcfe32 with the 5.9 getting a flash code i believe is a 123 not sure where to find that. the bus has now power it wont go over 15 or 20 mph unless going down hill. any ideas? thank you
bellamy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I know there are a lot of people on here that suggest using a VT registration. I can't speak for your home state but I think most states have similar laws for just about everything. In Maryland the law states that you have 30 days from the date you take up residency to register your vehicle in Md. There are exceptions for Military and students. I now live in Ohio which has similar laws. Now, I'm pretty sure that the local police are not too concerned about this...but, when one of your neighbors gets an attitude about your bus and starts stirring the pot, having your bus (er-RV) properly registered will save you a lot of grief. (my 2 cents)
There is such a thing as dual residence, especially in states with lots of tourism activities. If your registration and title have a Vermont address there's not much the locals can do about it.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Update:
I was able to get a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy-- signed the paperwork and paid for the first month, but then the underwriter contacted my agent with tons of questions, which ultimately led to my contract getting terminated by the insurance company. Luckily-- my coverage doesn't end til Nov, so I'm good for the drive home, which will hopefully happen within the next couple of weeks.

My insurance agent said he had a potential lead on another commercial coverage contract, but it would be at least 5-6x more expensive. I decided to pass on that for now, in favor of applying for VT RV registration, and then RV insurance. Hopefully, in 4-6 weeks I'll get happy news in the snail mail.

Unfortunately, it seems that commercial and RV insurance policies are difficult to secure in VA. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I must have cold-called dozens of local agencies, including recommendations off this forum, but I can't say that I left no stone unturned-- I got lucky after a few afternoons on the phone.

dcs0403-- I replied to your private msg.

Thanks to everyone who replied
Old 09-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #12

correction: I meant that I think that commercial vehicle insurance policies for personal use for buses in VA are difficult to come by-- don't know about RV policies yet.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Update:
I was able to get a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy-- signed the paperwork and paid for the first month, but then the underwriter contacted my agent with tons of questions, which ultimately led to my contract getting terminated by the insurance company. Luckily-- my coverage doesn't end til Nov, so I'm good for the drive home, which will hopefully happen within the next couple of weeks.

My insurance agent said he had a potential lead on another commercial coverage contract, but it would be at least 5-6x more expensive. I decided to pass on that for now, in favor of applying for VT RV registration, and then RV insurance. Hopefully, in 4-6 weeks I'll get happy news in the snail mail. When you complete your conversion (and make sure you keep ALL your receipts and evidence of using competent folks for things like electrical, plumbing, gas, etc.) you can then see if they give you coverage as a motorhome.

Unfortunately, it seems that commercial and RV insurance policies are difficult to secure in VA. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I must have cold-called dozens of local agencies, including recommendations off this forum, but I can't say that I left no stone unturned-- I got lucky after a few afternoons on the phone.

dcs0403-- I replied to your private msg.

Thanks to everyone who replied
Progressive Insurance's commercial side will sell you a commmercial vehicle for personal use policy, but it usually comes with a radius of travel limitation from the address where you keep it. The wider the radius, the more you will pay.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #14

I read that about Progressive commercial, but I got the contact info of 6 VA agents via their national office and all of them turned me down. Also, I emailed/spoke with Debby Ramirez of Spicer Insurance (got her contact info off this forum) who had helped others get commercial insurance via Progressive within the last few years, but she tried and said that (VA) policies had changed and she couldn't find an underwriter who would approve coverage for a (VA) bus anymore.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
There is such a thing as dual residence, especially in states with lots of tourism activities. If your registration and title have a Vermont address there's not much the locals can do about it.
No. Stateside, you have one and only one legal domicile. It is where you get your DL and pay state income taxes if applicable.

High net worth citizens often need to get a judge to affirm which state that is, hundreds of attorneys specialize in just those issues.

However none of that applies to vehicle registration and property tax. Those depend on where the property resides, not the owner.

Of course less wealthy people who remain nomadic, living full time in a vehicle and never settling down for long, have a lot more flexibility.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
I read that about Progressive commercial, but I got the contact info of 6 VA agents via their national office and all of them turned me down. Also, I emailed/spoke with Debby Ramirez of Spicer Insurance (got her contact info off this forum) who had helped others get commercial insurance via Progressive within the last few years, but she tried and said that (VA) policies had changed and she couldn't find an underwriter who would approve coverage for a (VA) bus anymore.
That must be specific to VA. I did get coverage that way. I discontinued it while VT made up its mind how to deal with my registration and title application, but will be restarting it just as soon as I am ready to take the bus for painting.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No. Stateside, you have one and only one legal domicile. It is where you get your DL and pay state income taxes if applicable.

High net worth citizens often need to get a judge to affirm which state that is, hundreds of attorneys specialize in just those issues.

However none of that applies to vehicle registration and property tax. Those depend on where the property resides, not the owner.

Of course less wealthy people who remain nomadic, living full time in a vehicle and never settling down for long, have a lot more flexibility.
DL and residences are two different things. And it is quite possible to have to pay state taxes in more than one state. In fact, it is common for many people to have to do so. Don't need a high net worth for that.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:20 PM   #18
Bus Geek

not just paying taxes, yes you can be "resident" in more than one

but voting, claiming benefits too

For most people those plus DL do define their legal domicile

and yes you can only have one.

But again, not relevant to the topic at hand.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:24 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
and yes you can only have one.
You sure? I have two DL's, both perfectly legal.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
You sure? I have two DL's, both perfectly legal.
Both in US states? How? In almost all states, you can only have one driver's license.

Not that relevant to legal domicile, of which yes you can only have one