Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #1

Hello! Diving right In

Hey there,

Been looking at some posts and threads for the last month or so to kind of get an idea of what I really want to buy as far as the bus goes. I have some experience in welding, and carpentry but pretty much 0 mechanical experience. Currently in the market for a shortie and I would like some general advice and or opinions. I'm currently looking at a 98 Chevy 6.5 L turbodiesel. Not sure the body manufacturer cause it's been painted over. Bus has under 100k miles and seems to be in pretty good condition. I'll find out for sure this wweekend. Owner said needs minor brake work. I've attached some photos, cause I would love some advice on truly getting started, what I'm getting myself into and if this bus is worth it. Thanks for your time!

Best,
NeverLander
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20201028-115559_Facebook.jpg   Screenshot_20201028-115603_Facebook.jpg   Screenshot_20201028-115611_Facebook.jpg   Screenshot_20201028-115606_Facebook.jpg  

NeverLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Shot in the dark here, body could be a Collins.

There's a lot to consider for newbies, a lot of which most don't think of. I have a buyer's guide I've compiled and some other info I send new folks to help them along and avoid problems.

The 6.5 isn't a terrible engine, but it does have its issues - It is based on the preceding 6.2L, which is known for head and gasket failures, as well as main bearing web stress cracks at higher mileage. Not all of them do it, but it is somewhat common. Also, if you're not familiar with diesels, three things you should know. They are picky about fuel pressure, fuel quality, and DO NOT like water in the fuel. Check your PMs, I'm sending some info your way.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#6.5l, #advice, #chevy, #newbie, #turbodiesel