Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #1

Question Hello dreamers!

My name is Anastasia and I have been extremely interested in the entire "tiny living" community. At first I was thinking my husband and I would just purchase land and build our own tiny home, but now I understand the only way to see our own beautiful country is by TRAVELING it!! I am so excited to begin this reconstruction project. I am at the very start and have general questions.

However, my most important question is simply regarding the usable space provided by a bus that is 27ft 6in outside
Legnth of bus 22 ft inside from drivers seat to back of bus. I was browsing through this site and saw a guy said around 180 sq ft. Does that sound right?

We don't want to go too big in fear of the regulations as well as handling of the vehicle in snow and mountain terrain.

So, how much living space would I actually be able to use? Also I am going to start the layout design and figuring the entire price of this project. I am so beyond excited for this amazing idea and I'm SO GLAD there is a site full of us "weirdos" who think living on the road is the only way to live! Oops, I forgot to ask my question; is there a good website that will help me design the layout? I tried a few and unfortunately they didn't have the smaller appliances. Ideally I'm shooting for a small, yet usable tub. That's one of my necessitates. And bed size.. we currently sleep on a king, what's the biggest I could go? Could we custom make a bed? I was thinking that would be towards the back of the bus along with a small garage/storage area.

Anyway, if you managed to get through my nonsense, please leave me some feedback. Tips, tricks, advice, and answers all welcomed!! Thank you everyone.

AdventureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Must school bus’s are 7.5’ wide so 22x7.5=165sq ft. A king would be pushing it size wise for med sized bus, a full sized bus at 40ft most people top out at a queen.

But you can custom build everything and anything. A full sized bus at 40ft needs nothing more then a normal DL as long as it’s a private RV. You have a RV don’t drive in the snow run away from it LOL.... get a bus with min of an DT466 and MT643 for lots mountains

For the layout, just draw it on paper or better yet buy your bus take out your seats then sit inside the bus and use tape cardboard and sting and figure out your layout.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote