Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Hello Everyone!

Good morning from the great NW!

My name is Keith and my girlfriend and I have been talking for a few months and we have decided we are going to buy a bus and do a skoolie conversion and travel the country!

We are in the very beginning stages of the entire process. i have watched countless hours of videos on Youtube and I think I have a pretty basic idea of what we need for our build. I have an extensive background in construction so from a build stand point I an not too concern. There is obviously be challenges along the way. I have never been around RV's or campers so the systems (utilities) Are going to be the biggest obstacle to overcome out of the gate.

We are looking at getting an 11 window flatnose at the moment and raising the roof 18-20" to allow for more storage as we do not want to be with out!

We am super excited we are still a few months out from anything, but want to make sure I have all the knowledge I need before moving forward. I look forward to any and insight we receive here.

Hello from Keith and Shiloh!
Portland, OR

asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquarecan View Post
Good morning from the great NW!

My name is Keith and my girlfriend and I have been talking for a few months and we have decided we are going to buy a bus and do a skoolie conversion and travel the country!

We are in the very beginning stages of the entire process. i have watched countless hours of videos on Youtube and I think I have a pretty basic idea of what we need for our build. I have an extensive background in construction so from a build stand point I an not too concern. There is obviously be challenges along the way. I have never been around RV's or campers so the systems (utilities) Are going to be the biggest obstacle to overcome out of the gate.

We are looking at getting an 11 window flatnose at the moment and raising the roof 18-20" to allow for more storage as we do not want to be with out!

We am super excited we are still a few months out from anything, but want to make sure I have all the knowledge I need before moving forward. I look forward to any and insight we receive here.

Hello from Keith and Shiloh!
Portland, OR

Hey Guys!

Welcome here! I am a newbie too. Still soaking up the wisdom like you but love making connections! Hope all goes well with your conversion!

-ReconcilingRoamer
ReconcilingRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
maybe think about basement storage - putting a load up high dramatically changes how a vehicle handles when driving
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
maybe think about basement storage - putting a load up high dramatically changes how a vehicle handles when driving
Yes it does.

Raising a roof is a really worthwhile mod, but just MY opinion here- a little goes a long ways. Maybe consider a 6-10" raise. Its already super easy to hit tree branches and cables over the road.
Just my 2 cents.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

That is great advice! Thank you! I’m 5’7 and my gf is 5’2 so height is not an issue just wanted to make sure we had additional room for stuff! We haven’t planned our trip or anything so the smaller we are the more places we can go!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
Thank you for that advice! These are the things I have no idea about! Which is why I am here!!! Thank you very much!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquarecan View Post
That is great advice! Thank you! I’m 5’7 and my gf is 5’2 so height is not an issue just wanted to make sure we had additional room for stuff! We haven’t planned our trip or anything so the smaller we are the more places we can go!
At your heights if you find a high headroom model you could have up to 78" of headroom right off the bat. If you really want a roof raise don't get a Thomas. A Thomas has an extra angle on the side profile that makes for some tricky geometry when it comes to reskinning.
Easier just to start with a Bluebird or International.
We had a 40 footer and raised the roof 10". It was fantastic but was just too much bus for us. We now have a lil 5 window shorty and its already got the 78" so at 5'10" and 5'4" we have ample headroom.
Our bus isn't at all meant to be a house. Not even a full on RV. Its just something me and 4-8 friends can go places in.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site. This place has all the info you need!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote