Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Use the quote button when replying to posts so we know which one your're referring to.
THANK YOU!!! I thought when I hit the 'thanks' button, it would post it under the original commenter, but I guess not haha. I'm a noob at forums.

RGorman125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGorman125 View Post
THANK YOU!!! I thought when I hit the 'thanks' button, it would post it under the original commenter, but I guess not haha. I'm a noob at forums.
The thanks button just sends a private message to the person you're responding to; nothing gets posted publicly at all. Noob!

Just kidding, we're all noobs compared to somebody else.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
The thanks button just sends a private message to the person you're responding to; nothing gets posted publicly at all. Noob!

Just kidding, we're all noobs compared to somebody else.
Haha but every post that I did I pressed the 'thanks' button and then a little comment thing popped up...

:shrug:
Old 09-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Haha but every post that I did I pressed the 'thanks' button and then a little comment thing popped up...

:shrug:
Huh, that's curious. The little popup window is where you compose the private message that gets sent to the user (and nobody else sees). I wonder if the site glitched somehow and posted those messages as public comments instead. Or maybe the site automatically does this with new users who have fewer than 5 posts overall.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
[QUOTE=RGorman125;450176]Thanks to everyone who responded.

She's a 1998 Chevrolet P30. Which if you google that, looks like a box truck, but she's definitely a little school bus and does not look like that except for the face.

1998 is old but she actually only has 46k miles, single owned by a school, and it runs and drives, so it's gucci as far as I'm concerned. Gas engine, automatic transmission, tires are in great shape, body has minimal/no rust. She's a keeper.

98 is one of the last good years. good buy and good luck!!!!
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Welcome to The Crazies

Rachael, just like to say welcome to the world of “fun & frustration”. As Musigenesis said, we’re all noobs sometimes in what we uncover and attempt to put our plans into action. There are plenty of folks on here that have done extensive research for themselves that ultimately benefit the rest of us. Take the time, ( as I’m sure you already have done. You said you were a lurker) to really dig through some of the “build” posts such as Ol Trunt & Musigenesis. They have run the gamut of do’s & don’t of a vast array of items. Most of the folks on here will give you some great ideas. Ask lots of questions and don’t be thinned skin about some of the answers. Most folks on here will give you honesty, not BS. Above all, HAVE FUN !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: P30
Engine: 454ci Big Block Chevrolet
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded.

To clarify, I meant $3-4k for the initial vehicle, not for the total conversion costs.

I actually just closed on a little shorty yesterday! Got her for $3850. I'm pretty sure it's a good deal, considering prices have gone up considerably since corona.

She's a 1998 Chevrolet P30. Which if you google that, looks like a box truck, but she's definitely a little school bus and does not look like that except for the face.

1998 is old but she actually only has 46k miles, single owned by a school, and it runs and drives, so it's gucci as far as I'm concerned. Gas engine, automatic transmission, tires are in great shape, body has minimal/no rust. She's a keeper.

She's a little smaller than I wanted, but I'm happy with her. I can test out my build skills, and upgrade to a bigger vehicle if I feel it's necessary in the future.

Wish me luck boiiiiiiis

Indeed. Very cool. I have something on the same platform. Throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s this P series platform was very popular, sold by GM, and lots of outfitters put their body on top of some version of that chassis. It existed up until the early 2000s even. That's quite a run, I think.

You most likely have a small block chevy 350ci in the Vortec series, which means any generic OBD2 type scanner and diagnostic equipment will work on it. Stuff like suspension parts are still readily available for the chassis. Vortec was a solid evolution of GM's fuel injection and head design.

The one downside that I personally have found is that it's easy to load up on weight with all of the wood and stuff that we put in ours.

Happy adventuring!
craigify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Huh, that's curious. The little popup window is where you compose the private message that gets sent to the user (and nobody else sees). I wonder if the site glitched somehow and posted those messages as public comments instead. Or maybe the site automatically does this with new users who have fewer than 5 posts overall.
I have no idea haha but I'll remember to do the quote thing now. And I'll try to post some pics of the rig when I'm able to. She's.....well she's something.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigify View Post
Indeed. Very cool. I have something on the same platform. Throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s this P series platform was very popular, sold by GM, and lots of outfitters put their body on top of some version of that chassis. It existed up until the early 2000s even. That's quite a run, I think.

You most likely have a small block chevy 350ci in the Vortec series, which means any generic OBD2 type scanner and diagnostic equipment will work on it. Stuff like suspension parts are still readily available for the chassis. Vortec was a solid evolution of GM's fuel injection and head design.

The one downside that I personally have found is that it's easy to load up on weight with all of the wood and stuff that we put in ours.

Happy adventuring!
Thanks so much, that's really good to know. Unfortunately she didn't come with any type of owner's manual, and I really want to just sit with one and go over every little detail and try and learn everything. Hopefully I can buy one.

Adventure is out there!
Old 09-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Rachael, just like to say welcome to the world of “fun & frustration”. As Musigenesis said, we’re all noobs sometimes in what we uncover and attempt to put our plans into action. There are plenty of folks on here that have done extensive research for themselves that ultimately benefit the rest of us. Take the time, ( as I’m sure you already have done. You said you were a lurker) to really dig through some of the “build” posts such as Ol Trunt & Musigenesis. They have run the gamut of do’s & don’t of a vast array of items. Most of the folks on here will give you some great ideas. Ask lots of questions and don’t be thinned skin about some of the answers. Most folks on here will give you honesty, not BS. Above all, HAVE FUN !!!
lol fun and frustration sums it up nicely. And getting easily frustrated/discouraged is one my fatal flaws that I'm really trying to overcome this year, so I'm looking forward to the frustrations. I hope they push me to grow, and that I remember this thought when I'm frustrated.

Don't worry, I'm not thin skinned, blunt, straight forward advice is very helpful for me. No BS is the way I like it!! haha

If I learn anything of value while I'm doing things, I'll be sure to post it in the forums somewhere and pay it forward.

Thanks!!
Old 09-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
01marc, wow! that's a lot of mileage for a miata! I bought my son a '99 off of my dad for a good price. I think it has 150k miles and I was a bit worried. It run great though. When we got it I resealed all the engine I could get to, new clutch, new water pump and timing chain all part of maintenance, and all new fluids. Very fun car that my son has! Of course I had to "test drive" it a few times to make sure it was sound!

Rachael, glad you found a bus. Sounds like you got a good one!

My first bus is a '99 International Bluebird with the 7.3 diesel. I upgraded the transmission from a four to a five speed allison. Currently she is just gutted while I'm in the middle of moving. I'm using her as my moving truck to save $$ and then will finish the build. Also, I wanted to ensure all mechanical was 100% before dumping money into the conversion. I had to purchase new batteries, get two leaky tires repaired, the aforementioned transmission upgrade, repair the battery cables where they were bare, new starter, and many other odds and ends. Oh, and mine is 30 feet long.

Good luck finishing your bus! Any pics?
-Josh
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #32

Hi newbie here just bought a 2012 collins w/6.6l duramax, am in niagara falls ny
bobbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post

Good luck finishing your bus! Any pics?
-Josh
Yes but I don't know how to upload them to here. I don't think I have the option to as a new member until I make a certain amount of posts or something like that.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Yes but I don't know how to upload them to here. I don't think I have the option to as a new member until I make a certain amount of posts or something like that.
I can’t remember if there’s a certain number of posts, probably so. You also can’t do quick reply if you wanna upload photos.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post
I can’t remember if there’s a certain number of posts, probably so. You also can’t do quick reply if you wanna upload photos.
Thanks for the tip! I tried to do quick reply and when I hit the insert image icon, it pulls up a 'https:// " so I don't think I can upload them yet unless I want to upload them to imgur and then leave the imgur link for people to look at haha.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I tried to do quick reply and when I hit the insert image icon, it pulls up a 'https:// " so I don't think I can upload them yet unless I want to upload them to imgur and then leave the imgur link for people to look at haha.
Use the paper clip icon to attach photos (or any other files) from your local drive or device. Easy-peasy.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
Use the paper clip icon to attach photos (or any other files) from your local drive or device. Easy-peasy.
There's a red X over my paperclip icon and it's not clickable.
...I'm sure I'll be able to post pictures eventually hahaha