Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Hello from an Excited New Nember

Hi All,

My name is Tadge Haskins and I'm a college student in Tampa. I've been doing a lot of research and I have become incredibly excited about the idea of buying a school bus and renovating it into something brand new. I love the look and utility that a school bus provides, and some of the prices that I have seen online have truly blown me away. I really am brand new to this, which is why I am so thankful and excited to have found a platform like this where I can hopefully reach the right people who can help me with all the questions that I have. I just have a few questions so that I can get started on the right foot.

What School bus to buy?
- As far as this question goes, I'm really looking for guidance that can help me better understand what kind of bus/year/mileage/engine that I'm looking for. I've had a lot of trouble understanding some of the language that I've been reading with regards to companies/manufacturers, and I'm completely clueless when it comes to knowledge amount engines and mechanics. I want to know how I can learn to be sure that I'm taking the right precautions to make sure that engine is solid, dependable and capable of accruing at least an additional 50,000 miles.

How to renovate?
- I have little to no experience with renovation of any kind, so I'm looking for guidance or direction so that I can learn what tools I need, what kind of labor I'm looking at, How to make a design for the interior, and any other information that I could possibly need. Even if you can't provide that information yourself, any resources that you could provide with thorough and complete tutorials would be extremely helpful.

Future Costs
-At this point, this is all just a dream. I have a steady job and make a decent bit of money, but I want to make sure that I'm not making an investment with costs in the future that I didn't foresee. I'm looking for information into how I can insure the bus, what kind of upkeep is necessary, what kind of licenses I'll need to acquire, etc.

I'm excited to go on this journey, and I'm comforted knowing that I have a resource like this forum. Thank you!

Tadge

phaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Being in Tampa, I'd say shop for buses in TX.
You're in the middle of the FULL RETAIL bus price zone. Dealers and exporters all over driving up the prices on what are essentially run of the mill lower end buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Being in Tampa, I'd say shop for buses in TX.
You're in the middle of the FULL RETAIL bus price zone. Dealers and exporters all over driving up the prices on what are essentially run of the mill lower end buses.

I’m in Texas, boy that makes me feel good to know! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
I’m in Texas, boy that makes me feel good to know! [emoji3]

Hell if you're in TX shop AZ, CA, NM!
The further west you go, the nicer the buses get- because they spend more on their buses out there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

The further west you go, the nicer the buses get- because they spend more on their buses out there.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

jamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
I've found some sweet buses in Hawaii, but they are proving costly for the ferry ride home.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote