Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9l
Rated Cap: 78
Hello from Bertha and I

good afternoon, im excited to be part of the skoolie community. this week i am picking up a 2000 blue bird with the 5.9ll cummins and the at545 transmission. the bus has 4.10 gears so im hoping it will be a good cross country vehicle. i will obviously be converting this bus into a live in RV. i will be watching the forum for cool news and advice.

a couple things im curious about are,
#1 uping the horsepower for the 5.9l to make mountain driving easier.
#2 anything i can do to aid fuel efficiency in the bus.
#3 upgrades to headlights to make them brighter.
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  

PAKYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

#1 uping the horsepower for the 5.9l to make mountain driving easier.

Remove motor and replace with bigger one.

#2 anything i can do to aid fuel efficiency in the bus.

Drive with the wind or hug a truck bumper.

#3 upgrades to headlights to make them brighter.

LED's
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

i like your answers haha, i know there are ways to up the horsepower in the 5.9 such as injectors and that kind of thing. but those are just some things iv read. i was hoping for some first hand experience. the bus will do 73 mph. so that is plenty fast for me as i will not be doing much interstate driving.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKYAK View Post
i like your answers haha, i know there are ways to up the horsepower in the 5.9 such as injectors and that kind of thing. but those are just some things iv read. i was hoping for some first hand experience. the bus will do 73 mph. so that is plenty fast for me as i will not be doing much interstate driving.
I'm a bit of a smartass ;)

You have the 24V 5.9L , like mine, or the 12V ??? If you wanted to improve your bus, you may find the transmission is the weak link. Lockup convertor would be big help in mountains.

Sorry to see Rodgers get hurt (really). da Bears.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

it is a 24v my neighbor has a twin turbo 5.9l for his dodge ram 2500 maybe ill steal that from him haha > jk lol, but how much does it cost for the lock up converter. and yes rodgers was a big loss, bus i think hundley with do ok.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
it is a 24v my neighbor has a twin turbo 5.9l for his dodge ram 2500 maybe ill steal that from him haha > jk lol, but how much does it cost for the lock up converter. and yes rodgers was a big loss, bus i think hundley with do ok.
Interwebs says:

24V CUMMINS PERFORMANCE

J Hook - The J hook upgrade is applicable to the 2001 and 2002 model year 24 Cummins. The device uses a spring connected to the wastegate lever in order to control the maximize boost pressure at which the wastegate opens. Aftermarket hooks hold the wastegate closed longer, thereby allowing for higher boost pressures. The modification is not only inexpensive, but has proved relatively safe and reliable. AFTER PYRO GAUGE ADDITION

Lift Pump - A lift pump is an electric fuel pump that brings fuel at low pressure to the high pressure injection pump. If you've got a 5.9L common rail Cummins, you should feel lucky to get 100,000 miles on the factory lift pump, as this is a common failure. Fueling modifications, via tuning or mechanical means, put additional strain on the lift pump and reduce its longevity. Most recommend replacing the lift pump with an upgraded model when performing modifications. At the very least, install an aftermarket model when the original fails; they are much more reliable.

53 Block Warning - The #53 engine blocks have weak castings around the water jackets, which are susceptible to cracking. The truth of the matter is that many of these blocks will never experience cracks and many owners likely don't even know they have this less desirable block casting. However, increasing the performance of your engine, and therefore the theoretical stresses on the engine block is likely to increase the risk of cracks forming and propagating. If you have a 1999 to 2001 Cummins, check to see if you have a 53 block casting and seriously reconsider your performance goals accordingly.

I did the Raptor by Air Dog lift pump already- very happy, so far. Read my build ( in my sig)
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Interwebs says:

24V CUMMINS PERFORMANCE

J Hook - The J hook upgrade is applicable to the 2001 and 2002 model year 24 Cummins. The device uses a spring connected to the wastegate lever in order to control the maximize boost pressure at which the wastegate opens. Aftermarket hooks hold the wastegate closed longer, thereby allowing for higher boost pressures. The modification is not only inexpensive, but has proved relatively safe and reliable. AFTER PYRO GAUGE ADDITION

Lift Pump - A lift pump is an electric fuel pump that brings fuel at low pressure to the high pressure injection pump. If you've got a 5.9L common rail Cummins, you should feel lucky to get 100,000 miles on the factory lift pump, as this is a common failure. Fueling modifications, via tuning or mechanical means, put additional strain on the lift pump and reduce its longevity. Most recommend replacing the lift pump with an upgraded model when performing modifications. At the very least, install an aftermarket model when the original fails; they are much more reliable.

53 Block Warning - The #53 engine blocks have weak castings around the water jackets, which are susceptible to cracking. The truth of the matter is that many of these blocks will never experience cracks and many owners likely don't even know they have this less desirable block casting. However, increasing the performance of your engine, and therefore the theoretical stresses on the engine block is likely to increase the risk of cracks forming and propagating. If you have a 1999 to 2001 Cummins, check to see if you have a 53 block casting and seriously reconsider your performance goals accordingly.

I did the Raptor by Air Dog lift pump already- very happy, so far. Read my build ( in my sig)
so, mine being a 2000 can i do that j hook mod, im assuming not. and is there just a casting number that would tell me if is is a 53 block?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
so, mine being a 2000 can i do that j hook mod, im assuming not. and is there just a casting number that would tell me if is is a 53 block?
Bus years of manufacture aren't always clear- components may may be off a year or 2 sometimes.

12V has more mods than the electronic 24 V Figure out which you have first. post a pic or your vin and I can tell you.

Casting # is on side of block- passenger, I think. Nope, both sides, says Web.

12V CUMMINS PERFORMANCE

VE44 Power Pin - For 1989 to 1993 model years, the 12v Cummins used a VE44 injection pump. While not as potent as the later P1700, swapping out the "power pin" is an affordable way to gain 20 to 30 horsepower. Aftermarket power pins replace the factory pin (which controls the fuel flow rate) and have a more aggressive geometry, essentially increasing maximum fuel delivery. There are many designs on the market, and a quality pin shouldn't run you more than $150.

P1700 Delivery Valves - Delivery valves are located within the P1700 injection pump found on 94-98 12v Cummins turbodiesels. The delivery valves, or "DVs" for short, serve as check valves for the fuel system, but also play an integral role in injection duration. Upgraded DVs typically create a sharper injection event with increased duration, which translates into greater power (or more realistically, power potential). Several stages of delivery valves are available, but don't get greedy; opting to install competition DVs on a truck that is used regularly as a tow rig or needs to remain street-able isn't necessarily a wise choice.

P1700 Fuel Plate - The fuel plate, or fuel stop plate, is another option for 94-98 12v Cummins. It controls fuel flow and upgraded designs allow the P1700 injection pump to simply flow at a higher rate. It's inexpensive and can result in gains of more than 100 horsepower, though a conservative 30 to 50 horsepower increase is more realistic for most street driven rigs.

Intercooler - An intercooler became standard for the 12v Cummins for the 1991 model year. For 1989 and 1990 model year pickups, consider installing an intercooler for cooler EGTs and better overall performance. For the factory intercooled 12v Cummins, a more efficient intercooler will prove beneficial for engines with moderate to heavy fuel system modifications as the cooler, denser air charge will increase overall performance potential and help alleviate and/or prevent problems associated with high EGTs.

Killer Dowel Pin Warning - Don't assume that luck is going to save you from the "Killer Dowel Pin". If you're modifying your 12 valve for more power, you'd might as well invest in a KDP eliminator kit. It's cheap insurance against the possibility of a complete engine failure due to a simple, 50 cent metal pin vibrating loose from the front of the engine block.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

man, you have all the answers to my questions. haha i hope everyone on this forum is as cool as you. it is for sure a 24v so ill have to do some research on my own instead of being spoon fed answer by you haha i appreciate your help.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

man, you have all the answers to my questions. haha i hope everyone on this forum is as cool as you. it is for sure a 24v so ill have to do some research on my own instead of being spoon fed answer by you haha i appreciate your help.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Actually, Google helps me a little bit.

Bottom line is: that motor has a crappy carter fuel pump mounted on the block, trying to suck fuel from waaay back. Upgrade to pump located by fuel tank to push fuel. If you don't, the expensive $$$ Bosch VP44 will try to suck fuel, causing early demise. Add fuel pressure gauge 18 psi WOT. Add low pressure fuel alarm.

Ask your neighbor for ideas on low buck, safe power upgrades. The Ram truck guys have it down pat.

You will be trading power for longevity. 73 mph in a bus is hauling pretty good, most of us want to enjoy the scenery a bit on our travels