Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

Year: 2007
Chassis: Bluebird All American
Engine: 8.3L Cummings
Rated Cap: 36k
Hello From Bradenton FL

Hi everyone, My wife and I recently bought a 2007 Bluebird All American with an 8.3L Cummings. Bus has 2800hrs/148000 miles. We are excited to get started on converting. We have already removed the seats and the plywood flooring. Very little rust on floor which is awesome. Next up will be to remove the riveted ceiling. Not going to be fun. Looking forward to getting ideas and advice on here.
Take care.

Urbannomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #2

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466E
Rated Cap: 36K
Welcome aboard. My wife and I are 6 weeks into our build just north of you in New Port Richey, let me know if you ever need anything!
rickd6184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A pneumatic hammer with a nice sharp chisel bit is the best way to get rid of those rivets.
You go along with a punch bit (they come in a set with the chisel bit usually) and punch the mandrels in the centers of the rivets, then shear off the heads with a chisel bit. Once you get a rhythm going its not too bad.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #4

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird Corp
Chassis: GM B Series
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A pneumatic hammer with a nice sharp chisel bit is the best way to get rid of those rivets.
You go along with a punch bit (they come in a set with the chisel bit usually) and punch the mandrels in the centers of the rivets, then shear off the heads with a chisel bit. Once you get a rhythm going its not too bad.

Welcome - Lived on Bradenton Beach for a few years when younger. Loved spending some of my childhood there. Family ran a charter fishing business next to Cortez bridge.

To add on to EastCoastCB (I've read many of his comments over the years, extremely insightful) make sure you have an adequate supply of air pressure with the pneumatic gun. Every so often I would take my chisel bits to my bench grinder to resharpen the head. After that rhythm comes in it's satisfying to chomp some rivets after you've spent so much time struggling. Show those rivets who's boss!
D_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Bird View Post
Welcome - Lived on Bradenton Beach for a few years when younger. Loved spending some of my childhood there. Family ran a charter fishing business next to Cortez bridge.

To add on to EastCoastCB (I've read many of his comments over the years, extremely insightful) make sure you have an adequate supply of air pressure with the pneumatic gun. Every so often I would take my chisel bits to my bench grinder to resharpen the head. After that rhythm comes in it's satisfying to chomp some rivets after you've spent so much time struggling. Show those rivets who's boss!
Oh thanks!

Yes- you want a decent compressor to run it! Good thinking- I totally forgot about my initial attempts with a pancake compressor.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote