Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #1

Exclamation Hello from Brooklyn

I guess its a commitment. Because the username I chose would make me look like an A%* for sure and one hell of a poser if I dont build my Skoolie/apt. Thing is , Im about to get one. Any NY and or NYC Skooliers out there? Would love you to inbox me. Having some issues finding what I need to find regarding parking/living in Brooklyn and how to get around some of the silly little laws, size restrictions, registration choices, etc? My goal is to live in my Brooklyn hood without paying 3000k a month in rent! Do it responsibly, stealthily (as stealthily a white school bus can be) park my car near it, and enjoy it.
I would love to hear from ya! I do have my hopes on an 98 international 129k miles, that i just looked at. But up for some other suggestions. It has already been painted white, seats out, and lower walls insulated. So my username works? I guess not, until said Skoolie is on the street with me in it!!!
Thanks!

skooledinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Don't buy anything that was used within 750 miles of your area.
First thing you'll learn about buses is how their speedometers malfunction during their life, a 98 would likely have 200k or more, can it be verified? Rust is going to be your biggest issue. Move out of the rust belt for your best bang for your dollar.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

Living in the big city in your bus can be challenging. Quite a few have passed laws making it illegal to sleep in your vehicle.

I would take a look at Bob's van dweller website and see what they have to say about Brooklyn.

I lived full time in my first bus. I traveled 40+ states over 6+ years. I found NY to be a bit challenging. I sound up paying $50 a night ( in 199 to stay in the parking lot of a marina in Jersey City.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome,

Living in the big city in your bus can be challenging. Quite a few have passed laws making it illegal to sleep in your vehicle.

I would take a look at Bob's van dweller website and see what they have to say about Brooklyn.

I lived full time in my first bus. I traveled 40+ states over 6+ years. I found NY to be a bit challenging. I sound up paying $50 a night ( in 199 to stay in the parking lot of a marina in Jersey City.

Good luck.
There's a marina near me that also has a lot with RVs parked in it, although I don't think anyone lives in them. They do have people living in their boats there, though, so I wonder what it would cost to buy a barge and rent a marina spot and park my bus on the barge.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
There's a marina near me that also has a lot with RVs parked in it, although I don't think anyone lives in them. They do have people living in their boats there, though, so I wonder what it would cost to buy a barge and rent a marina spot and park my bus on the barge.
I'm sure somebodies lived in a dry-docked boat. Paying for a slip is BIG money in/around NYC.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
I am in Brooklyn too, although looking for a short bus as a vehicle, not planning to live in it, as there are five in our family and while we would live in a bus we are stuck part time in nyc as we have split custody of my stepsons and I have no interest in street parking anything over 23 feet here. When they are 18 in 7 years we’re gone!
I’m not far along enough to offer much guidance, but do believe it is legal to live in your vehicle in nyc. People convert for registration to ‘Home on Wheels’. And yes, don’t buy anything around here/in the northeast unless someone just brought it here from elsewhere.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #7

Thank you ! I will
skooledinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
im from brooklyn also!! (iowa) anyway being a city school bus it probably is that low on miles but check for a hourmeter to get a true indication of how much use its had. we bought a 98 with 112,000 as it was a backup bus
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote