Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #1

Cool Hello from Cambridge, MA

Howdy! I've been lurking around on this forum for a while. Looks like you guys have a really nice, down-to-earth forum community here which is a pretty refreshing change from many online communities.

I'm looking to buy a larger converted bus to live in with the wife. I'd love to do it myself, as I'm fairly mechanically inclined otherwise, even if I've got limited experience with sheet metal work and any engine work more complicated than "remove bolts, replace part, replace bolts." Unfortunately I don't think that's possible given my current apartment location in Harvard Square. It's about a block from Harvard Yard where parking is not advisable despite that common saying we all know, (and about 6 blocks from the former offices of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe if you catch that reference.) A small outdoor parking space for a CAR costs about $300/mo around here, let alone some place to work on a bus.

While I've got some top-secret locations within Boston city limits where I could park a bus on the street without time restrictions, there certainly wouldn't be any power available for tools or welding, and noise would be a significant concern. And while I do have some friends out in the sticks with a bit more space, I don't have a car to get out there because around here, with street cleaning, snow restrictions, insane insurance, etc. they're an expensive pain-in-the-butt which is mostly replaced with a bus/subway pass for $80/mo total. Anyway...

I'm sure once I get it I'll end up learning how to do most of the maintenance myself. My best friend is a GC so he'll be able to help me out with any interior rejiggering that needs to be done to make it work for us, and another friend is a certified welder.

I'm not as well-heeled as most of the people around Harvard, but my credit union seems to have great rates for private party RV sales, and anything is cheaper than what I pay for rent around here, so I'm willing to pay well for a skoolie well... schooled?

Merry Xmas!

ChefAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome, Chef !

It looks like you are currently in the "Thinking Out Loud Stage " in the process of coming to grips with the fact you want a bus. This is an important Stage as you are listing the specific reasons a bus will or will not work for your situation.

Now that you have taken the step of putting to paper your intentions, you will start to put those intentions out into the Universe. You might mention the 'Wild Idea' to a few trusted friends and acquaintances (Never anyone with the Legal authority to have you psychiatrically evaluated.)...

Then the wheels of motion turn inexplicably. Connections connect, parking is secured, outlets are had. Your fears melt away and you find yourself bidding on a bus.

Enjoy the Wild Ride.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello and welcome

It's good to see that you've thought things out. Sorry for not getting the references to people and places but I live far removed from your world.

I say you're going to do alright once you get the parking issue worked out.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Mention your idea to your friends and the lack of a place to park it while you convert. I bet someone knows somebody who will let you use some space for some cash or beers!

The problem with buying a pre-converted bus is simply that these builds are "opinionated". Someone else's idea of fuinctionality may be totally different from yours.

Are you planning to hop from RV park to RV park? If so, you'll want clean/grey/black water tanks, 110V AC power run throughout, roof top air conditioning, a microwave oven and refrigerator etc. If you're planning to travel a lot or not have hook-ups often, that build will be frustrating to live with.

It's hard and expensive to have a bus that does both things well. There are always trade-offs. You should have a good idea of how you intend to use your bus up front, well before you spend any money!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, buying, massachusetts, newbie