Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Hello from central NC

Hi Y'all!

I'm very happy to have found this site! I'm looking to purchase an already converted (at least mostly) reasonably priced skoolie to live in year-round. I'm a farmer, so my lifestyle is pretty simple, rustic, and minimalist. Unfortunately I'm not a good builder and don't have the means to take on a conversion myself. Something in the 15-20k range is preferred. I know I'll probably have to spend money on travel to acquire it.

I'm hoping for a skoolie with a diesel engine; cummins with Alison transmission seems to be best. I also like the Thomas buses, mainly because they're made here in NC and that would make it easier to find parts and such if needed. I'm planning to park it somewhere and not drive it cross country or anything, but I'd like the option of driving it around if I need to.

A compost toilet, or the means to add one would really be ideal for me. I prefer it from a sustainability standpoint and not having to deal with a black water tank. Solar panels would be great too, but in my price range I think I'll have to install those myself somewhere down the road. It doesn't get too cold down here, but I would like something well insulated and ready to go for colder weather. Who knows where life will take me!

Thanks Y'all!

farmgirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome and good luck in your search!
lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC/Gasser
Rated Cap: 54
Converted Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl87 View Post
Hi Y'all!

I'm very happy to have found this site! I'm looking to purchase an already converted (at least mostly) reasonably priced skoolie to live in year-round. I'm a farmer, so my lifestyle is pretty simple, rustic, and minimalist. Unfortunately I'm not a good builder and don't have the means to take on a conversion myself. Something in the 15-20k range is preferred. I know I'll probably have to spend money on travel to acquire it.

I'm hoping for a skoolie with a diesel engine; cummins with Alison transmission seems to be best. I also like the Thomas buses, mainly because they're made here in NC and that would make it easier to find parts and such if needed. I'm planning to park it somewhere and not drive it cross country or anything, but I'd like the option of driving it around if I need to.

A compost toilet, or the means to add one would really be ideal for me. I prefer it from a sustainability standpoint and not having to deal with a black water tank. Solar panels would be great too, but in my price range I think I'll have to install those myself somewhere down the road. It doesn't get too cold down here, but I would like something well insulated and ready to go for colder weather. Who knows where life will take me!

Thanks Y'all!
Look on Craigs list in Wilmington. Look under RVS and you will see a converted Thomas Bus with a Diesel engine. It is almost complete. PM me for more info. Its a nice looking Bus.
chopanegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Smile

Welcome, and good luck with the search. My advice comes from a quote of Mathew Mcohnohey (spelling?). "patience darlin, patience".... Pre-converted buses pop up for sale all the time, Just know what you want, and it will eventually show up for you. AND send me some North Carolina BBQ! I miss it!!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compost toilet, conversion, diesel, for sale, north carolina