Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Hello from Colorado

Hi there,
Thought I would drop in and say hi. I've been lurking around for a little while, and though I would get a bit more serious about looking for a skoolie.

I was looking at longer shorty that had a wheel chair lift based on an E450, that was being auctioned by the local school district, but it ended up going for too much at auction.

I was liking the shorty because it looked very drive-able, and it wouldn't intimidate my wife and you could probably actually park a 23 foot bus alot of places you couldn't the bigger ones.

But the van portion sort of scared me for being able to work on anything, as that 7.3 was really stuffed in there.

I was also liking the handicap lift, i was initially hoping to use the lift to get my motorcycle in the back as sort of a garage. When the tape measure was actually applied, it was apparent that the lift was too narrow (for my geezer glide), but if i removed it, I'd probably be able to use that bigger door to get the bike in.

Anyway, I thought I would keep watching locally to see what comes up. I am curious though, and I am sure this has been asked before, but those that went out of state for their bus, how did you get it home? In (my) state, you have up to three days to get it home before you need plates. I was planning on using that time to get a VIN verify, Emission test, and weight slip and to rip the seats out so I could get it titled as an RV immediately and simplify my insurance. While probably not technically legal for that initial drive home, I thought it would be fairly close to legal as long as I had insurance and had taken the time to unbolt some seats.

But if you are crossing state lines, seems like police and DOT guys might want to take a closer look. Curious to know what others have done, did you end up having to get temp plates, maybe duct tape over the school bus sign and stop sign? Or did you find someone with a class b license to drive it home?

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Most everywhere allows 30 days to get some tags. We all usually get insurance and just drive home. A 23 foot bus will fit into 2 parking spots. The cut away style van might not take the weight of a heavy motorcycle. I would go with a conventional bus for that. Also, more room under the hood really does make it a lot easier like you were getting at.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote