Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Hello from Denver!

Hello all! My partner and I are a couple living here in the Mile High City, loving Colorado but hating paying around $1300/month in rent and utilities for a small apartment that we can't change or customize.

We've been fascinated by the tiny house movement for a while, and in particular the idea of converting a bus into a mobile home is something I've dreamed of since I was a kid. Seeing now how many other people are already converting and living in Skoolies, we feel very encouraged to give it a try!

I recently came into a bit of a financial windfall, nothing huge, but I have about 20k in cash to work with right out of the gate, and will possibly be trying to secure a personal loan of about 5-10k to get everything done according to our (tentative) plans. So many options, so much to figure out!

We are actually going to look at a bus tomorrow that's already partially converted. I plan to get a mechanic to check it out and verify the state of the engine/chassis/etc. since I am not really mechanically knowledgeable (though eager to learn).

I'm reading tons of stuff on this forum, which seems awesome, and watching lots of YouTube videos of course. ;) You all sound like some pretty neat folks, and I hope to learn a lot here and eventually contribute myself as well.

Viva la Skoolie! 🚌

BakerSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You need to ask yourself where you'll park it. Seems like Denver would be a horrible place to try to park a bus. We had a hell of a time parking a car there for an hour.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Definitely one of the things we're working on figuring out. There are a fair number of rv and state parks around here, and a lot of open/empty space around the metro area. I'd be willing to commute (in my car) to my current job from a decent distance if necessary. Now, if I can just make friends with someone who has a decent chunk of land! LOL

Our long-term goal is to save up and buy suitable land, park the bus on it, and live in it while building a tiny permanent structure. Then we can keep the bus for traveling and possibly Airbnb it for some extra cash. It's a ways off, but that's the plan.

Turns out we're NOT going to look at the one bus we had our eye on... Dude said he wouldn't let us get it inspected until we gave him the entire $3500 asking price! Ha! I wanted to ask him if he had any bridges for sale as well...
BakerSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sure is beautiful in Colorado.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote