Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from emerald coast

Hey y'all I am Jen in the emerald coast of Florida. I am getting ready to convert a wheelchair accessible by into an RV, I have done lots of research and been reading through your different threads! My husband is a wounded vet, c7 quadriplegic, and we have a 2 year old daughter and small pup Barkley.

If all goes well we are buying a 22pax bus with 3 wheelchair hookups and a ramp incl. We are stoked to take it hunting, fishing, and introducing our daughter to the great outdoors and the beauty of America!

I have lots of experience with custom carpentry (thank you dad and grandpa), and we have sketched out lots of great Murphy style ideas to keep flooring open and maneuverable for the chair. We are going to be putting hand controls on the column so hubby can drive it. He drives his own pickup truck and is a very good hand driver!

Already talked to dmv in Okaloosa county and all we need to show is that we have gas, water, or electric and they will title it as an RV. No CDL needed! Y'all have some great posts and I have enjoyed reading your threads!!! Lots of great info, if your coming through the emerald coast/destin area or live in the area, please drop a line. I would love to bounce ideas off y'all.

May the open road carry you far!
Jen
Schoolhouse mama

Schoolhouse mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
WELCOME
Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome, and thank your hubby for his service

How exciting, i look forward to reading about your progress.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Always nice to have another Floridian on here! Several of us regularly on the forum lately.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

We got our rig!

So just got the rig it's a '98 DT466 international bluebird with 98k miles on it from parish school district in Louisiana, hoping we haven't purchased a lemon but we got it for under 4K. Hoping to do the total renovation well under 10k...it sounds great, no mechanical issues or rebuilds. I think we got a good one. Going to get started on taking the seats out next week.
Schoolhouse mama is offline   Reply With Quote