Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: ??
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 5.4 Liter Gas
Rated Cap: 13
Hello from Farmington Hills MI

We splurged on a Shuttle bus a couple of weeks ago and for a while I did not think we were going to be able to keep it due to MI insurance rules/laws. At present the plan is to take out the seats and maybe a minimal build out. (LOL) Think GO VAN rather than RV. My wife Theresa and I will be the primary users.

The rig is a 2003 Ford with a full van front end, meaning a passenger seat and door. It has a Gas Motor and seems to run and drive nice.

So hello all!

Ain't she purdy?

WilandTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Smile Welcome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilandTee View Post
We splurged on a Shuttle bus a couple of weeks ago and for a while I did not think we were going to be able to keep it due to MI insurance rules/laws. At present the plan is to take out the seats and maybe a minimal build out. (LOL) Think GO VAN rather than RV. My wife Theresa and I will be the primary users.

The rig is a 2003 Ford with a full van front end, meaning a passenger seat and door. It has a Gas Motor and seems to run and drive nice.

So hello all!

Ain't she purdy?
pictures, pictures, pictures....!
And for sharing!
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome
So you've got an '03 Ford cutaway van with a gas engine. Nice. Easy driving and parking, and gets much less attention than a long bus.

Even better, you sound like you're going with the maxi-van theory. Mine is also a van, registered and titled, not an RV. Insurance regulations vary from place to place, but if I had titled this as an RV it would be uninsured at this time. The only reason I was able to get insurance is specifically because this is titled as a van.
I realize that my attitude may be slightly counter productive to the general theme on this site, but I didn't want an RV. This is my fifth bus and I like to put motorcycles or bicycles or whatever in here. Walls aren't conducive to the flexibility I need in this maxi-van. There are those that disagree, and I'd say they are right for their bus. Not for mine.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
You guys are in my neighborhood! Where in The Hills are you? We're at 12mile and Inkster.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #5

Year: 2003
Coachwork: ??
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 5.4 Liter Gas
Rated Cap: 13
We are three miles South!

I read your build thread, VERY impressive, but my question is, what would you have done differently?
WilandTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
What I'd change:

1) Find a bus like yours with normal driver's and passenger seats. Our present seating arrangement works OK but dealing with the big side door can be a pain at times.

2) I would seal up my insulation better. We're only weekend warriors so humidity and mold hasn't been a problem (and likely never will be), but if we were full timing there would be a good possibility of mold issues behind the insulation panels. Specifically, I would use aluminum HVAC tape on the joints between the insulation sheets and caulk the edges at the window and door cutouts.

3) I would make my kitchen overhead cabinets just a bit wider to fit a full sized dinner plate.

That's about it. The floor plan works out great for us.

As Skoolie_n00bie said, we must have pictures!