Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Hello from Florida!

Hello all!
My name is Lauren and I currently live in St petersburg, fl. My boyfriend (brad) and I are buying a bus to convert to a schoolie and see all 50 states as well as the provinces of Canada. Brad's an auto Mechanic but we are both BRAND NEW to the skoolie conversion and we'll be attempting to do it almost entirely on our own. Please send all advice and well wishes our way! I'm hoping we can be on the road by April '18 but we'll be taking our time to hunt out used materials every step of the way to save our pennies, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Tinydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Skoolie

Welcome from Minnesota if you're ever passing through look me up Milkmanchip, good luck on your build, I think the most important thing I would do right now is find the sturdiest lowest Mile bus you could. This is a great form to ask questions there's a lot of Old-Timers that have built schoolies a few times with a wealth of knowledge. Good luck!
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Thank you!!! Yeah, we're currently on the hunt. We're checking Craigslist as well as trying to get in contact with the local school board to see when buses are retired. By any chance do you think there's a certain mileage we shouldn't go above for our first bus? My bf can get enthusiastic about his ability to "revive" high mileage older vehicles lol... I just wanna be sure we're safe.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinydreamer View Post
Hello all!
My name is Lauren and I currently live in St petersburg, fl. My boyfriend (brad) and I are buying a bus to convert to a schoolie and see all 50 states as well as the provinces of Canada. Brad's an auto Mechanic but we are both BRAND NEW to the skoolie conversion and we'll be attempting to do it almost entirely on our own. Please send all advice and well wishes our way! I'm hoping we can be on the road by April '18 but we'll be taking our time to hunt out used materials every step of the way to save our pennies, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Welcome! I'm in Eustis, just north of Orlando about 35 minutes.
We're having a skoolie gathering with music and bbq the last weekend in Sept.

Take your time bus shopping. Avoid dealers and CL. Go for buses on the auctions sites like GovDeals and Public Surplus. You'll save a TON of money and get a WAY nicer bus if you avoid buying FL or GA buses. Ours are the worst, and the most expensive!!
A great bus can be had for as little as $1500 if you're patient, vigilant, and know what you're looking for.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Welcome! I'm in Eustis, just north of Orlando about 35 minutes.
We're having a skoolie gathering with music and bbq the last weekend in Sept.

Take your time bus shopping. Avoid dealers and CL. Go for buses on the auctions sites like GovDeals and Public Surplus. You'll save a TON of money and get a WAY nicer bus if you avoid buying FL or GA buses. Ours are the worst, and the most expensive!!
A great bus can be had for as little as $1500 if you're patient, vigilant, and know what you're looking for.
Thanks!!! I'll be sure to check out both of those resources for our hunt any chance I can score an invite to your skoolie gathering? I'd love to see meet some of you guys in person and gain inspiration from your buses, I can bring the Cole slaw!!!
Tinydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinydreamer View Post
Thanks!!! I'll be sure to check out both of those resources for our hunt any chance I can score an invite to your skoolie gathering? I'd love to see meet some of you guys in person and gain inspiration from your buses, I can bring the Cole slaw!!!
Consider yourself invited! I'll PM you the info
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote