Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #1

Hello from GA!

Hello friends!

My name's Justin and I work for a nonprofit called Books for Keeps in Athens, GA. We're a nonprofit that provides new books to more than 9,000 students annually to help build a foundational love of reading!

Since I've worked for Books for Keeps, I've always wanted to have a bookmobile that would allow us to expand our program into neighborhoods and other community events. Since bookmobiles are super expensive to purchase, I've been lurking the forum over the last several months to learn everything I can about school bus conversions. I was just told this morning that the grant I wrote to find the funds necessary for the purchase and conversion have been approved! We're also lucky enough to have a great relationship with our local school district, from which we'll be purchasing a surplused bus in the coming weeks.

I'm super excited to get moving on this project and I look forward to finally putting into practice everything I've learned from this forum!

Justin_BFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
From time to time, school buses that have already been converted to bookmobiles (and converted quite well, with top-quality carpentry, bathrooms, generators, AC etc.) come up for sale on auction sites, Craigslist etc., usually very cheap. I know it wouldn't be any fun to purchase one pre-made like this, but it would certainly save a whole lot of money and effort.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
From time to time, school buses that have already been converted to bookmobiles (and converted quite well, with top-quality carpentry, bathrooms, generators, AC etc.) come up for sale on auction sites, Craigslist etc., usually very cheap. I know it wouldn't be any fun to purchase one pre-made like this, but it would certainly save a whole lot of money and effort.

Oh yes, and I've been keeping an eye out for something like this. Most I've found are out of our price range though unfortunately. I'm still keeping my eyes out for these buses though in case something shows up.
Justin_BFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_BFK View Post
Oh yes, and I've been keeping an eye out for something like this. Most I've found are out of our price range though unfortunately. I'm still keeping my eyes out for these buses though in case something shows up.
I kind of hope you don't find one, because this stuff is more fun to do yourself. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Hi, Justin,
If you're interested in book-mobiles and the like, you might contact Steve Rustad
(https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...99-albums.html)
on this site. He has been researching them forever. When he buys for resale, his selling prices are low enough that you, too could resell and not take a loss. (imo)

(EDIT)
In case you haven't already found this bookmobile picture album:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...les-page1.html
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote