Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello from Germany !

hello everyone, our names are Sascha and Yildiz and we come from Germany.
We are about to bring our Bluebird All American from America to Germany. Then it should be expanded. Stop by our blog and leave us a greeting. Sascha

www.skoolie.me

Superkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkraut View Post
We are about to bring our Bluebird All American from America to Germany. Then it should be expanded. Stop by our blog and leave us a greeting. Sascha

www.skoolie.me
I love your Umbaustatus. Zehr Nutzliches Ausdruck. (handy expression)

Everyone should have an Umbaustatus-mine is ~70%!
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
www.skoolie.me
Hallo Sascha, I would be VERY interested in knowing how you plan to get the bus past TÜV.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

it will be very exciting. but it will be possible. I got the green light. I'll see if it really works without any problems
Old 09-21-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
it will be very exciting. but it will be possible. I got the green light. I'll see if it really works without any problems
I assume you already have the appropriate endorsement in your driver's license to operate the bus?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Assuming the role of the German Transportation Authority? Misguided.

Surely, Superkraut will drive it. That is the point.

Zork:
Definition,
Trinidadian slang for being misguided or fooled into actions that may lead to somewhat embarassing circumstances. To be screwed over.

Ever been to Trinidad?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I assume you already have the appropriate endorsement in your driver's license to operate the bus?

of course I can drive it. otherwise it doesn't make any sense 😎
Old 09-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome!
What part of DE are you in? We're St Pauli supporters!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Welcome!
What part of DE are you in? We're St Pauli supporters!
I come from near Cologne. so you are a fan of Hamburg?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
FC St Pauli yes.
I have friends in your area. Stayed a few days in Koln and at a friends house in Dusseldorf some years ago.
It would be so strange to see a US school bus over there!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I couldn't imagine where you would take a full size All American anywhere in Germany. Seems like there would be very few places you could take something like that.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

you can get a special permit in Germany. there are only a few crazy people who bring such a long bus from America to Germany 😎
Old 09-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
If you don’t mind, I know many are interested in what the estimated price of shipping and transporting into Germany from US would look like? I know shipping a Tiny Home across America is upwards of 10-15k of it needs permits, so I can only imagine the hoops you’ll have to jump through to get it over there and to make it legal over there?
We had quite the headache just getting ours transferred and legal from Alabama as a School Transportation Bus to a Recreational Vehicle in Florida lol.

I’m assuming you’ve done your research, maybe it isn’t your first time around. If it is your first time trying this then all I can say is good luck and have way more money prepared to spend than you originally anticipated, like double and a half to be safe...
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
of course I can drive it. otherwise it doesn't make any sense 😎
Some people do senseless things, like assuming that if they can drive a private truck for personal use without a commercial license, they can do so anywhere else, and set themselves up for a rude awakening.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I couldn't imagine where you would take a full size All American anywhere in Germany. Seems like there would be very few places you could take something like that.
It might be difficult in a dense urban area like downtown Berlin or Friedrichshain, but there are many, many beautiful places you get to on the autobahns or regional roads where it would make sense. Same as in the US, except in Germany certain dirty diesel vehicles are now banned from the downtown streets in many cities.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydawg3000 View Post
If you don’t mind, I know many are interested in what the estimated price of shipping and transporting into Germany from US would look like? I know shipping a Tiny Home across America is upwards of 10-15k of it needs permits, so I can only imagine the hoops you’ll have to jump through to get it over there and to make it legal over there? We had quite the headache just getting ours transferred and legal from Alabama as a School Transportation Bus to a Recreational Vehicle in Florida lol.

I’m assuming you’ve done your research, maybe it isn’t your first time around. If it is your first time trying this then all I can say is good luck and have way more money prepared to spend than you originally anticipated, like double and a half to be safe...
I have done two transatlantic moves to/from Bremen, that way in 2015 and back in 2019. Going there I took a Mercedes ML550 that I later sold for a tidy profit because they don't make them over there, as well as a sailplane in 30 ft trailer. Coming back only the sailplane.

Going there I put the sailplane in a container. The car went RORO (roll on, roll off). I had a $10k budget for that and the household goods and I did not exceed that, at least until it was time to pay port arrival, inspection and delivery fees. Coming back I used a moving company, but shipped the sailplane myself on RORO service. I used a broker, but I come from a family that has been in international commerce (mostly food service) for three generations, I knew my way around things.

Right now it is EXTREMELY expensive to ship anything on a boat, either containerized or RORO. I've heard prices of up to $15k for a single 40 ft container, when it only cost me $3k to send all my household goods to Germany in 2015. And sometimes even if you are willing to pay the price, the bookings are not available and there is a very long waiting list. It doesn't help that because of a shortage of longshoremen labor there are dozens of ships parked outside of major ports like NY/NJ.

It sounds crazy, but shipping by air is likely less expensive than shipping by sea these days. I consider myself VERY luck that I found a Honda EU6500is generator with only 54 hours near where I live for $2400. Others I have seen are as high as $4250 with almost 2000 hours of run time on the clock. But buying a new one? The current model is the EU7000is and it runs upwards of $5k.

Also, BEWARE any online deals that sound to good to be true, and when you look closely most of them are fly-by-night scammers in places like Indonesia. ALL of them will take your money and disappear.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

good morning, the price of the roll on roll off is $ 5,600. through out ok and the price is fixed for 6 weeks. It will be shipped on Saturday. Of course, there is also unloading in Germany, customs and taxes on top. it's not cheap, but ok.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
good morning, the price of the roll on roll off is $ 5,600. through out ok and the price is fixed for 6 weeks. It will be shipped on Saturday. Of course, there is also unloading in Germany, customs and taxes on top. it's not cheap, but ok.
That is expensive, but not as bad as I thought. In RORO they charge you by the cube volume of the item, LxHxW. I think I paid $3k to send my sailplane back to the US, 30 ft long, 8 ft wide and about 8 feet tall, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:32 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I think I can live with that. we only do this once in a lifetime �� however, the German TÜV will cost around 6-8k euros.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think I can live with that. we only do this once in a lifetime �� however, the German TÜV will cost around 6-8k euros.
Aha. I knew there would be pain with TÜV. I was lucky, when I sent my Mercedes to Bremen I only had to change the tires because of the (E) being missing, even though they were Continental tires! Everyting else was OK. I bought the cheapest tires offered, and as soon as I left I drove to another shop and paid them to put my original tires back on without any paperwork. Drove that way until I sold the car.