Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Talking Hello from Idaho - a portable house sounds nice!

Hey everyone.

I'm a 33 year old just getting into the position where I'm considering a minimalist lifestyle as opposed to the house, the mortgage, the material stuff, and whether or not that means for me a skoolie or a tiny house I'm not sure yet.

My questions are these(and apply to those living in a bus full time):

Do you feel you've compromised anything given the benefits you have, and if so, what do you miss the most?

Did you take a flying leap into living in a (relatively) small space, and if so, what was the shock like?

Have you discovered anything that just can't seem to be done "right" while living on a bus, and if so, what is it?

What is your favorite part about your lifestyle? The least favorite?

Please feel free to add anything you think an "outsider" might not consider!

For those who take the time to answer, I truly appreciate it. I'm mostly in a place of consideration at this point(I might live a few months in a camp trailer or something to see how well I can function), and I'll pore over everything on the site that I can get my hands on. Thanks again.

brbrerolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Hi & welcome

Before I answer your questions, I would like to hear what your responses are based on what you know, think, feel and hope it will be like.

Those answers are the most important ones you should be considering.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #3

Meaning answer my own questions? I'm happy to, and shall here(please let me know if I misread your intent)!

Do you feel you've compromised anything given the benefits you have, and if so, what do you miss the most?

-I feel it would be a desirable compromise, one that would allow me to focus less on the material and focus more on the spiritual, the present, the moment, and experiences rather than "things", if that makes sense.

Did you take a flying leap into living in a (relatively) small space, and if so, what was the shock like?

- I'm planning on asking a lot of questions and being a bit careful because I live in an area that has up to 9 months of winter a year(although it hasn't been that harsh the past bit). I do want to experience it, whether it be by bumming a friend's RV and living in it for a while to see if it's something I'm interested in or diving in face first, I can't rightly say just yet.

Have you discovered anything that just can't seem to be done "right" while living on a bus, and if so, what is it?

- My biggest concern is to do with access of water/showering/hygiene. The only time my family camped as a kid was during hunting season(in other words: winter), so there wasn't much showering to be done and I'm honestly not familiar with the ins and outs of it. Again, something to be learned, but I *expect* there isn't an infinite amount of hot water to sit and stand under should I feel like it.

What is your favorite part about your lifestyle? The least favorite?

-I think the pursuit of experience and new places would be my favorite part. If I were to be able to pursue the last half of my bachelor's degree while on the road, just doing, being, and experiencing, I think I'd be a very happy guy indeed. The least favorite, I think, I likely can't even imagine yet. I want the most for my cat and dog(Chihuahua) to be happy...it's one thing if I find out that it isn't for me, but entirely another to drag them along and discover they're miserable. I think in getting used to the idea of being able to pick up and go whenever it would also get frustrating having to remember that one's friends aren't able to do the same...I think there's be a certain falling out in some friendships there, if not direct, than a sort of sad "we aren't entirely compatible anymore" thing.

I hope that isn't too abstract. Is that what you meant?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Welcome, brb! I'm new, too.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisicat View Post
Welcome, brb! I'm new, too.
Thanks, Invisicat! Cool name btw
Old 08-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
My bus will seem small compared to a house, but will have everything we need that a house has.

Living in my bus shed, I miss a tub and running water the most.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
My bus will seem small compared to a house, but will have everything we need that a house has.

Living in my bus shed, I miss a tub and running water the most.

Nat
Thanks for the reply, nat_ster. I think I'd have some difficulty without running water. The tub wouldn't bother me terribly, at least not for a while(I rarely take a bath as opposed to shower anyway).