Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
sorry cheese wagon but the volvo bunk sucks for sleeping as i tried but it was ok for a dinette. however it is not in any way wheelchair accessible which is one of his requirements
While none are meant to be, I have indeed seen someone with mobility impairments driving a semi. So where do you suppose he sleeps, if the bunk is not handicapped accessible?

Also, while I don't much care for Volvo trucks in general, the sleeper really wasn't that bad to me, though I did prefer Freightliner's setup. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
not in a wheelchair you havent. you can pass a dot physical with some handicap issues but not in a wheelchair
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:56 AM   #23
Traveling

I am well aware of what it takes to pass a DOT physical, as I have had to pass one at least every other year since 2013. Please, show me where I said the guy was in a wheelchair. Also, just because something is not touted as being handicap accessible or wheelchair accessible, does not mean it is not. Not being a hardhead or smartass, just stating a fact.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Volvo

My brother is an owner operator with Koch and owns a 780 Volvo like the ones you are talking about. He generally leaves the dinette set up up, and sleeps in the upper, unless his wife is travelling with him. I have spent more than 15 yrs as an owner op myself and have spent alot of time in trucks, and I agree that they make some very innovative space saving "furniture". All good sources of inspiration.
RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #25
Traveling

Quote:
not in a wheelchair you havent. you can pass a dot physical with some handicap issues but not in a wheelchair
For the record, Volvo has never made any statement to my knowlege as to any of their designs being handicapped or wheelchair accessible either way. As in they have never said they are, but they have never said they're not either. And as I pointed out, nor have I, nor does any lack of a statement thereof mean anything one way or the other.

I'm not quite sure why you insist on hijacking someone else's thread to argue with me about something I never said. On the other hand, Volvo has never made any statement to the contrary either. But carry on. I wonder how much fuel you go through with such flame attempts.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
While none are meant to be, I have indeed seen someone with mobility impairments driving a semi. So where do you suppose he sleeps, if the bunk is not handicapped accessible?

Also, while I don't much care for Volvo trucks in general, the sleeper really wasn't that bad to me, though I did prefer Freightliner's setup. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.
I said wheelchair acessable not handicapped jeez can't you guys read???????
Old 05-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post

I said the dinette was not wheelchair acessable not handicap acessable learn to read and I think you are not a smartest but a dumbass
Old 05-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

This is fun
Old 05-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #29
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Quote:
This is fun
Not so much. Rick posted “hi” and mentioned the special circumstances he’ll be keeping in mind for his build. Brainstorming all ideas sounds like his approach, and a very reasonable one.

I’m a physical therapist. I’ve been very active in adaptive sports, particularly competitive sailing, since 1986. I continue to learn from folks in that community that a same diagnosis or the use of the same adaptive equipment does not mean there are ANY assumptions that can be made about an individual’s abilities. There are people who use wheelchairs who can walk, people with a single below knee amputation who cannot. I have a close friend who has had a stroke and cannot speak easily or move his arm, but drives from NYC to Michigan solo. Many couples would just stay home. Nitpicking language or terminology is just nitpicking.

Only Rick and his wife can figure out what will make the bus accessible for them from all the ideas they can gather from us. I hope I’ll meet them on the road because this supportive community helped make that happen. Stay on track, gentlemen.

Barbara
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Very well said, thank you!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Rick, I was looking for something else and stumbled on posts from Disbus, doing a WC accessible bus with hand controls for himself. I didn’t read through all 9 pages, but he maybe another resource for you.

Barbara
Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #32
Traveling

Quote:
I said the dinette was not wheelchair acessable not handicap acessable learn to read and I think you are not a smartest but a dumbass
gNAT? Arky? Is that you? "Learn to read". I could say something here, but I won't. Seems to me a pattern of such inflammatory remarks would subject to review / removal by admin, are they not? Apologies, OP. Just know for the record, I didn't start this. My final piece on the subject.