Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Hello from Illinois

Hello SKOOLIE.NET My name is Rick and I have been following different skoolie forums for some time now. I just purchased a bus to convert from a govt auction , but haven't actually seen it yet, hoping to get it home in early June if travel is more relaxed.
I will be looking for a lot of information on my build, so please bear with me. I am a retired union electrician and also a former over the road trucker and owner operator. We will have some special circumstances going forward, my wife suffered a massive stroke about 4 yrs ago and is confined full time to a wheel chair so our bus will need a fairly open floor plan so that she can navigate it, I will also be installing either ramp or lift because the bus I bought was not handicapped accessible. I got a 2003 Thomas FE with 5.9 cummins and an allison automatic 73,111 miles and recently inservice and inspected. Hoping to meet many of you and keep an eye out for "Suite Lorraine" once we get moving. Thanks and again Hello!

RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
sounds like a real good bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Hello and welcome. Retired IBEW here too, not sure where I found time to work when I look back. Enjoy your retirement and have fun with the bus life!

John
Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Sounds like a good bus. Too bad you couldn't find one with a wheelchair lift already installed. I hope for your sake you bought your bus a bit further south of Illinois, as rust is a real problem with buses from the northern part of the country.

For your open floorplan, I would recommend Murphy bed(s), and you might consider scavenging heavy truck salvage yards for space-saving features unique to those. It really amazed me when I was running OTR how much those trucks managed to cram into tight quarters. A dining table / bunk setup from a Volvo would do wonders for your situation. Lots of other good ideas on here as well.

From one 'hand' to another...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angry Duck.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	43671
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'm having trouble downloading a picture, but the bus I purchased came from the academy at West Point NY. It has fairly low mileage and should have received the best of maintenance. No guarantees but here's hoping..Click image for larger version

Name:	2CFBPI20195003A.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	43706
Old 04-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
I'm having trouble downloading a picture, but the bus I purchased came from the academy at West Point NY. It has fairly low mileage and should have received the best of maintenance. No guarantees but here's hoping..Attachment 43706
There is a maximum size (width x height) limitation. Anything larger cannot be attached. Many people run into that, something I feel should be clarified for new members.

But wow, that is a seriously NICE bus. Interesting that it has transit-bus-style windows instead of the clickety-clack up-and-down arrangement typical of skoolies. The lack of upper flashing lights indicates it was not a regular route bus, and therefore the low mileage is likely accurate, though cluster failures are fairly common in newer models and it is difficult (if at all possible) to set a replacement to the correct mileage.

I am not sure if the W.P. Academy you speak of is THE W.P. Academy of military significance, but it certainly sounds like it (I've never known the actual location). I often tell newbies to be on the lookout for military / activity / prison / private school buses like that, because low mileage is a higher probability (note: NOT guarantee) in such usage, as they are usually not regular route buses.

All in all, looks like a nice find, but I'd try to inspect the undercarriage and underside of the floor carefully. Would be good to get some pics here as well to get others' assessment of the severity of any rust or other damage found. Probably was not exposed to much road salt, if any. But still a good idea to check.

Something else noteworthy that most buses that were military or otherwise federal use tend to be well-maintained, perhaps better than a local municipality school route. As in oil being changed on a regular basis regardless of mileage or engine hours.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

It also has the "transit" style seats, the high back individual seats 11 rows of 4 in gray vinyl. It did come from the Military Academy according to the paper work. I got this weird govt form instead of a title. They tell me I will be the original title holder of a 17 yr old used bus
Old 04-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
It did come from the Military Academy according to the paper work. I got this weird govt form instead of a title. They tell me I will be the original title holder of a 17 yr old used bus
That IS odd. Every govt vehicle I've owned came with a title, albeit all of mine were state vehicles, not military or federal.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #9
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Hello! Possible wheel chair lift for you

Hello and welcome, Rick! I am from southern Illinois, near St. Louis (Go Cards!). I just bought our school bus last week with the intent to convert it so my daughter can take it off to college with her. It came with a fully functional wheel chair lift. I was going to list it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace next week. If you're interested, drop me a note.

Ken (a.k.a. Fat Boy)
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Hello SKOOLIE.NET My name is Rick and I have been following different skoolie forums for some time now. I just purchased a bus to convert from a govt auction , but haven't actually seen it yet, hoping to get it home in early June if travel is more relaxed.
I will be looking for a lot of information on my build, so please bear with me. I am a retired union electrician and also a former over the road trucker and owner operator. We will have some special circumstances going forward, my wife suffered a massive stroke about 4 yrs ago and is confined full time to a wheel chair so our bus will need a fairly open floor plan so that she can navigate it, I will also be installing either ramp or lift because the bus I bought was not handicapped accessible. I got a 2003 Thomas FE with 5.9 cummins and an allison automatic 73,111 miles and recently inservice and inspected. Hoping to meet many of you and keep an eye out for "Suite Lorraine" once we get moving. Thanks and again Hello!
Welcome aboard Miller. I retired from Local 716 in 2017. Glad to have you.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Local 176 Inside wireman... Thanks
Old 04-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Local 176 Inside wireman... Thanks
Excellent !!! 42 years for me.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
That IS odd. Every govt vehicle I've owned came with a title, albeit all of mine were state vehicles, not military or federal.
I believe this is related to the military not paying taxes or registration on their vehicles...

(and the entire DoD fleet is "self insured" ie: no insurance payment/policy either)

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Quote: “We will have some special circumstances going forward, my wife suffered a massive stroke about 4 yrs ago and is confined full time to a wheel chair so our bus will need a fairly open floor plan so that she can navigate it, I will also be installing either ramp or lift because the bus I bought was not handicapped accessible. “

There are three wheelchair users on Instagram you might want to look at. SpecialSkoolie in FL are a brother (quad) sister team doing their conversion now. SkoolieMissionAdventure has an elevating bed and huge walk-through bathroom, she is a “walking Para” and waiting in Germany to ship her bus to the US. ImpactOverland converted a van with an arm-style lift you should definitely consider. He is a quad traveling South America, great photographer.

One more person I met in Florida, I have to find him online for you. He uses a scooter, and has made all kinds of modifications himself including a lift up to his roof deck.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Look for Rickey Irvin from Alabama on Facebook. His bus is The Covered Wagon. WC lift to the roof deck, added steps up to the emergency doors, has no qualms about cutting and pasting vehicles together!!!

Barbara
Old 05-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I love hangin out with Rickey!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I(and the entire DoD fleet is "self insured" ie: no insurance payment/policy either)

Yup, the deep pockets and lawyers to defend "self insurance".
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Hello and good luck with your new adventure!
Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
we must be neighbors as we are in davenport
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
sorry cheese wagon but the volvo bunk sucks for sleeping as i tried but it was ok for a dinette. however it is not in any way wheelchair accessible which is one of his requirements
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote