Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

Smile Hello from Illinois & a question about the classifieds

Hi all, I've been hanging around learning a ton here. Figured I'd dive in and say hello from the prairie where I am for a few months. I'm a noob more intimidated about the buying than the building, looking to buy a short school bus or shuttle bus (no engine knowledge at all...). What I'm thinking about doing is selling my 2012 ford escape to buy the bus and get the build started. I plan to live in it for around a year. "If all goes well" (yes-feel free to laugh at that thought!!) i figure it could get me started.

I think I have to post a few times before I can share links so I'll ask in this message- is it's ok to post my suv in the classifieds?

I'm a nerdy tech writer for oil and gas and healthcare software and this is going to be my way to get the hell away from the computer for a while!!

Thanks for any advice, this site is amazing.

Cids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Cids,

Welcome to the board. It sounds like a good plan. I am a bit envious of your "portable" skill set.

To be able to make a reasonable income while on the road is something a lot of us dream about.

As far as purchasing a bus, think about how you are going to use it and read, read, read.

The forums here are full of details of other members purchase, build and travel stories. Read, ask questions and learn.

Get a good idea of what you want before you start seriously shopping.

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cids View Post
Hi all, I've been hanging around learning a ton here. Figured I'd dive in and say hello from the prairie where I am for a few months. I'm a noob more intimidated about the buying than the building, looking to buy a short school bus or shuttle bus (no engine knowledge at all...). What I'm thinking about doing is selling my 2012 ford escape to buy the bus and get the build started. I plan to live in it for around a year. "If all goes well" (yes-feel free to laugh at that thought!!) i figure it could get me started.

I think I have to post a few times before I can share links so I'll ask in this message- is it's ok to post my suv in the classifieds?

I'm a nerdy tech writer for oil and gas and healthcare software and this is going to be my way to get the hell away from the computer for a while!!

Thanks for any advice, this site is amazing.

heck I write code on my road trips... i find parking the bus and setting up shop to be a great way to be inspired to be creative and solve issues / build new features into my software..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
heck I write code on my road trips... i find parking the bus and setting up shop to be a great way to be inspired to be creative and solve issues / build new features into my software..
-Christopher
I sometimes wish that I had pursued that path. I took Fortran and Cobol in college and then pursued work on the hardware side. Not nearly as portable....
Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #5

Thanks Steve-I've been reading tons. I have my priorities (in theory) so far: build the thing around a bathroom. . Thanks for the welcome.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
-Christopher
That's the goal-that and being flexible I'm sure. I can imagine setting up with a view to die for and call it my office with a view, then drive in to town, hop on wifi and send it all in. Trying to get my ducks in some kind of row by the end of the year.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cids View Post
. Trying to get my ducks in some kind of row by the end of the year.
I have found that soaking them in buttermilk overnight then grilling them works quite well.....
Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have found that soaking them in buttermilk overnight then grilling them works quite well.....
See? That's why I'm here, bus knowledge and bonus recipes!

Tags
classifieds, noob, short bus conversion, shuttle bus