Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 84
Hello from Iowa, building long hauler

I finally found the kind of bus I wanted.

2006 IH FE300 It was an activities bus so it's tall enough I can stand up straight, has 5-6 big storage compartments, air seat, DT 466, Allison 5 speed, air ride and air brakes. almost 40 feet long, 15 windows.

I plan to shorten the bus body 18' ands replace that section with a flatbed/beaver tail.

I have concerns about the rigidity of the frame taking off the bus body and sticking out so far behind the back axle so I plan to add an air tag axle behind the drive axle. I would like to be able to haul a pick up in a pinch.

I would love to hear from someone that has done this type of conversion. Looking to get a good plan in place before I start cutting.
Attached Thumbnails
bus.jpg  

johnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Almost There

So I tore into the inside of the Bus wall today where I wanted to split the body off... During a big downpour I started questioning the logic of exposing everything I plan on hauling on the flatbed. Thinking about changing gears and adding a lift gate on the back, widening out the back door. I won't be able to load a pickup but it will get a zero turn mower in and all my seal coating equipment when I travel to work. I'll also have everything inside nice and cozy while traveling or parked.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Almost There

Well I am leaning back toward the toterhome layout for my bus conversion. It was my original intention but once I started looking at the longer beds on the haulers, I liked the idea of not having a trailer to mess with. Then simply putting everything in the original sized bus only worked if I didnt have everything loaded at once, so Im back to going with toterhome plan.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
Almost There

Build thread

moving my build thread to conversions section under XL Toterhome
Old 09-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
Look in FarmShowmagazine.com under Look what there doing with School Buses There have been several built along both plans you are kicking around I remember one that hualed a team of mules in the cab half and two wagons on the back. If the frames are as heavy as a conventional bus you should be able to do about anything you want to on the back end. A tag axel would definitely help supporting rear weight. I"m a retired welder . If you dovetail it you could flip the cutoff parts to the opposite side and reinforce the frame. The main thing is to use a compatible electrode to the frame metal. probably a SMAW 8018 or close to that. you could check with the bus manufacturer to find out what grade of steel is in the frame. Dont try to do structural welding with a 110 volt mig welder. You will not get the required penetration or weld strength you need to carry a lot of weight with weak welds. Good luck and keep your imagination working . I wish I was close enough to help you Sounds fun. ps One bus had the whole back end cut off and put a fold down back/ramp raised by a four wheeler winch to load into the back. you could do that and pull a truck on a tow bar of dolly.I lived in a 1964 GMC fulltime while working all over the country in the late seventys and early eightys . It was 64 feet long .
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Almost There

Farm show

Reedy,

My dad and I wear two copies of Farm Show out every month. I have build three combine machines one of them incorporated a whole a semi frame.

I decided on a toter instead of a longer bed. I wanted the bus to be a little shorter when I unhooked the load. I still have 11 windows so plenty of room for a couple of bunks, a shower and cooking area.

I fancy myself more of a junk yard welder, never knew there was a 8018 rod. I am 7018 almost full time.

be good,

John