Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Hello from Kingston Ontario

Hi all, just bought a short school bus with a wheelchair door and lift that I'm planning to convert into a camper. Ideas I'm tossing around include a slide out from the wheelchair door, or using it as access to an outdoor cooking area or using the working wheelchair lift and back 5 ft as a storage area/garage for a Vespa. Anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks!!

JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Most school bus wheelchair lifts have a weight capacity of 750-1000 lbs.

Make your decision based on that sort of limitation.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome fellow Canadian , can't really help you with the wheel chair lift, good to see some one else from Ontario, make sure you can get insurance and registered before you start sinking money into it.
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome --- A number of folks either delete the (heavy) chair lift to gain some interior space or use it to hoist their scooters or motorcycles into their buses. As long as you stay within the units weight limits it will be fine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
welcome fellow Canadian , can't really help you with the wheel chair lift, good to see some one else from Ontario, make sure you can get insurance and registered before you start sinking money into it.
gbstewart
May I ask how you got things sorted it with your own? I'm getting a really hard time from my own insurance company myself.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Most school bus wheelchair lifts have a weight capacity of 750-1000 lbs.

Make your decision based on that sort of limitation.
Thanks. Yes I'm thinking maybe even a dirt bike instead!!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
May I ask how you got things sorted it with your own? I'm getting a really hard time from my own insurance company myself.
I had to have most of the conversion finished, water, bathroom, heat, kitchen, then they sent some one over to inspect it, I had it registered as a rv all ready, I got lucky there, small town MTO just put it as a rv even before I got the seats out!!!, get the safety check before you start, you can still transfer it into your name while you do the conversion, it will be hard to get a Ontario safety if you wait. go to the MTO web site, there is a list of what you need in it to consider it a RV. i'm with allstate insurance but now they say the no longer insure skoolies, i'm grandfathered in, the co-operators list converted buses on there site.
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Perfect. Thanks! I'll try the cooperators tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
I had to have most of the conversion finished, water, bathroom, heat, kitchen, then they sent some one over to inspect it, I had it registered as a rv all ready, I got lucky there, small town MTO just put it as a rv even before I got the seats out!!!, get the safety check before you start, you can still transfer it into your name while you do the conversion, it will be hard to get a Ontario safety if you wait. go to the MTO web site, there is a list of what you need in it to consider it a RV. i'm with allstate insurance but now they say the no longer insure skoolies, i'm grandfathered in, the co-operators list converted buses on there site.
gbstewart
I just went and looked (I was curious to compare with Quebec's SAAQ laws) and I can't say the MTO's site is very well made.

Where the hell is that list? I searched for "motorhome licence" "rebuilt motorhome" etc... nothing!

They say you need that safety certification, but no link to it...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
After I had mine painted I had an e test and safety done, went to the ministry to get it put in my name. Showed the lady behind the counter a pic and she asked me "do you have 4 of the 6 criteria needed to make it a Motor Home"?...paused for a second and said yes, I have 5 of the 6. [there all in a shed or the garage]...but I do have them. So she gave me a new ownership with green as the colour and MH instead of bus. Now my insurance company wants an appraisal before they will insure it.....did it in Brampton....on my way home, don't live there.

GB, where in Ont. do you call home?
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

you need a safety to put it in your name, do so asap, you can register it as not on the road, much better to get that done, cause chances are if you do a conversion no mechanic will safety it, unless its done by a body shop, good luck with that. as for mto web site ya I can't find the info any more, but I do have a print out of it, and I tried the www. address and it doesn't work anymore, but it says; Motor Home;
a motor vehicle that is used for personal purposes as a temporary or permanent residence and contains at least four of the following items; Cooking facilities, a refrigerator or ice box, a self-contained toilet, a heating or air conditioning system, an independent electrical power supply or an independent gas supply or a potable water supply system with a faucet and a sink. Note; 'a van camper' is essentially a-plated passenger van and as such is subject to the same rules as a passenger van or car.
there that's what I have from the mto web site back in 2/18/2011 when I found it. boy am I glad I kept a copy and keep it in the bus.
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
After I had mine painted I had an e test and safety done, went to the ministry to get it put in my name. Showed the lady behind the counter a pic and she asked me "do you have 4 of the 6 criteria needed to make it a Motor Home"?...paused for a second and said yes, I have 5 of the 6. [there all in a shed or the garage]...but I do have them. So she gave me a new ownership with green as the colour and MH instead of bus. Now my insurance company wants an appraisal before they will insure it.....did it in Brampton....on my way home, don't live there.

GB, where in Ont. do you call home?
i'm in northwestern Ontario, about 3 hours from the Manitoba boarder
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
OK then, way out there! My old man's from the Red lake area [as he puts it "butt f..k no where, then turn left"]
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Motor Home;
a motor vehicle that is used for personal purposes as a temporary or permanent residence and contains at least four of the following items; Cooking facilities, a refrigerator or ice box, a self-contained toilet, a heating or air conditioning system, an independent electrical power supply or an independent gas supply or a potable water supply system with a faucet and a sink. Note; 'a van camper' is essentially a-plated passenger van and as such is subject to the same rules as a passenger van or car.
there that's what I have from the mto web site back in 2/18/2011 when I found it. boy am I glad I kept a copy and keep it in the bus.
gbstewart
Wow.

I might have to register my bus with my brother in Ont. when I make the move!
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
OK then, way out there! My old man's from the Red lake area [as he puts it "butt f..k no where, then turn left"]
Red Lake is about 3 hours from me, nice place, I'm Sioux Lookout, I'm sure your friend has heard about.
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
Perfect. Thanks! I'll try the cooperators tomorrow.
keep us posted on how you make out with them.
tks
gbstewart