Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
In my experience contesting parking tickets and other violations in the past it comes down to what you say and what you do not say.
In my opinion the "school' portion of the bus bus stops being relevant the moment I own it, and it is now just a automobile with a bus body.
This single distinction can eliminate all headaches when registering and insuring.
It is also no longer a commercial vehicle as it is not used for commercial purposes and furthermore is not a school bus according to California vehicle code definition when operated by a private party

Old 02-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Since you have lived in CA for more than five minutes you don't need to be told what a royal pain it is to work with the powers that be. CA is one of the few states that gets very picky about the color of the paint on your bus. If you purchase a used school bus one of the first tasks you need to complete is changing the color to any color that isn't National School Bus Chrome Yellow.

Another area that CA is beyond picky has to do with CARB rules. Certain engines are just not worth purchasing because CARB wants them all off of the road and trying to stay within the exemptions can mean driving less than 1,000 miles in the state per year.

One of the real advantages is being in CA is you will find very few rust buckets for sale in CA. Also, because the CHP is so persnickety about preventative maintenance most CA school buses when they are taken out of service are still in pretty good condition.

Good luck and keep us all posted as to what you are thinking of purchasing.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

2kool, why doesnt that surprise me?

was reading thru your old posts, luv the bus btw. mind if i ask what the length and width and interior ceiling is on your wonderful bus?

grez
grezm0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Since you have lived in CA for more than five minutes you don't need to be told what a royal pain it is to work with the powers that be. CA is one of the few states that gets very picky about the color of the paint on your bus. If you purchase a used school bus one of the first tasks you need to complete is changing the color to any color that isn't National School Bus Chrome Yellow.

Another area that CA is beyond picky has to do with CARB rules. Certain engines are just not worth purchasing because CARB wants them all off of the road and trying to stay within the exemptions can mean driving less than 1,000 miles in the state per year.

One of the real advantages is being in CA is you will find very few rust buckets for sale in CA. Also, because the CHP is so persnickety about preventative maintenance most CA school buses when they are taken out of service are still in pretty good condition.

Good luck and keep us all posted as to what you are thinking of purchasing.
I have done extensive research leading up to my bus purchase. The part about engine type isn’t correct. It’s based on year. Once it has an MH title and is in the DMV database as a motor home it’s exempt from CARB rules. The 1000 mile rule is for non-conforming out of state vehicles wishing to operate in the state. It was a way to keep trucking companies from registering their business in AZ or OR or NV and continuing to use their old trucks.

A good question for the DMV and CARB is if there is a cutoff date to do the title conversion.

Since 2020 is the cutoff date for non-conforming buses in California, time is running out for desperate sellers, if there are any left out there.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

well....in a days worth of reading and poking around. my thoughts are

medium school bus less than 25' with handicap
thomas body on an international chassis (snub nose or flat face)
7.3L mated to an allison 2000/2500 (if u can find one)
made between 1995 to 2007
need to verify insurance will cover when purchased for drive home
need to verify requirements(bed toilet 110v) to have registration changed

kinda sorta....maybe, yeah i know its rough....its a days digging

the question is....what would i expect to be paying at an auction, and is it better in state or out regarding redtape and hoops to jump thru?

so just as a guess-timation. 8-12k total........ 3-5k for a bus. 1-2k for uncle sam and the goons. 2-4k for materials and preventive mx.......maybe

hows that sound?
grezm0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by grezm0nkey View Post
2kool, why doesnt that surprise me?

was reading thru your old posts, luv the bus btw. mind if i ask what the length and width and interior ceiling is on your wonderful bus?

grez
2K is 26ft outside, ceiling is 77in. Width unk. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
havenít been looking for a while but a midsize bus is a rare bird in SoCal. I see them in service but not at auction. You might find them through private sale.

I encourage you to call CARB and the DMV before you do it. Make sure they havenít moved the goal post again
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote