Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
hello from louisiana

Hi I'm kevin from louisiana

I'm here to gather info before getting into a build
I'm going to be looking for a flat bb or thomas that I can Raise the roof because I'm quite tall
also would really like info on wireing and plumbing. I feel like that's the part I'll have the hardest Time with

Dream7
live out on the road and still have a decent job fingers crossed
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
bansil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MNT CITY TN
Posts: 5,158
Welcome
lots of info here, start by making a list of what you want and what you want to do, then work on each item, 1 at a time
__________________
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Currently in Appalachia.
Posts: 148
kevmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
Hi I'm kevin from louisiana

I'm here to gather info before getting into a build
I'm going to be looking for a flat bb or thomas that I can Raise the roof because I'm quite tall

Look up cowlitzcoach's posts. He is a wealth of information about virtually all makes and models. Especially helpful to me while trying to choose the "perfect" bus and power package that will suit my intended use. You might want to look for the 12" (vs. the 9") windows. They will have a 78" headroom to start with. You can tell in a pic- the top of the windows/drip rail is NOT in line with the drivers window in the 'taller' busses. The drip-rail lines up on the 'shorter' buses.

also would really like info on wireing and plumbing. I feel like that's the part I'll have the hardest Time with

Browse the "build" threads and how-to's. there are a few very talanted folks on here. I guarantee you'll get so many new ideas you'll have a tough time choosing favorites.

Dream7
live out on the road and still have a decent job fingers crossed
Good luck in your quest!
__________________
~Pamela
SassyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,230
Don't limit yourself to just Blue Bird and Thomas buses.

Carpenter was still making buses into the late '90's. They made a pretty good bus body with some exceptions that won't matter if you are raising the roof.

Ward/AmTrans/IC are pretty good buses as well. The government ordered hundreds during the '90's that all had the extended roof options that had an inside height of I think 82". It was at least 78".

Going back a little farther Superior and Wayne made pretty decent bus bodies as well.

The most important thing to decide upon is which power package you want and which power packages on which you would settle, and which power packages you really don't want.

Let us all know if you have any specific questions about a particular bus.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I saw a flat nosed bluebird on the shreveport/minden craigslist page. Check it out.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
1988 Bluebird Bus
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

Ward/AmTrans/IC are pretty good buses as well. The government ordered hundreds during the '90's that all had the extended roof options that had an inside height of I think 82". It was at least 78".
And if you're looking for a flat nose, the 3000RE has plenty of space to access the engine in the bay, with very minimal contortions, and great cooling. I'll second the 78" roof clearance. With how I plan to lay my floor and ceiling when I'm done, I'll still have plenty of clearance, and I stand 6'.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sachse, Texas
Posts: 50
Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: G3500 Vandura
Engine: General Motors 5.7L 350 V8
Rated Cap: 17
Which part of Louisiana? We are from the New Orleans area.
__________________
mobile New Orleans style snoball stand conversion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sno-ball
The SnoBall Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Don't limit yourself to just Blue Bird and Thomas buses.

Carpenter was still making buses into the late '90's. They made a pretty good bus body with some exceptions that won't matter if you are raising the roof.

Ward/AmTrans/IC are pretty good buses as well. The government ordered hundreds during the '90's that all had the extended roof options that had an inside height of I think 82". It was at least 78".

Going back a little farther Superior and Wayne made pretty decent bus bodies as well.

The most important thing to decide upon is which power package you want and which power packages on which you would settle, and which power packages you really don't want.

Let us all know if you have any specific questions about a particular bus.

Good luck!
Thank u all for the welcome

The thing is I'm 6'6 (78"") I've been looking and I haven't been able to find any lifts that are finished or there all sheet metal with no windows I'm sure there ar some but I haven't been
able to find it
my question is are there any close to finished and where do u get the windows and what kind
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Just cut the sheet metal and install some RV windows

Amazon.com: rv window
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Lafayette area
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
Lafayette area
I was born in Lafayette! My family is from Morgan City.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
Just cut the sheet metal and install some RV windows
But, be careful where you cut. Taking out too many window pillars is a recipe for disaster. For something like this, doing your own roof raise and reskin would be preferable, because 1) you know where the pillars are, and 2) you also know how sturdy the raise is. If you're uncertain about doing it yourself, read through wmkbailey's build thread here. He did his raise and conversion by himself, with some pretty innovative techniques.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,937
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Roof raise and house windows is the best bang for the buck.

Some trip buses cut every second pillar out and install large 4 foot long sliding RV windows. So therefore cutting out every second rib should be fine.

At your height (6.6) I would not mess around. Do a 24 inch raise, vault the ceiling, and enjoy. You will be able to look out the window standing up vs laying down. lol

When mine is done, I will have a rub rail every 16 inches on the new skinning steel. This will make it hard to tell it was not factory.

I will also have a nice 24 inch by 24 inch window over the headboard of my bed. This window will be installed in the new skin steel.

I will also have a 30 by 30 window at the back of the bus where the door used to be. It will also be over the bed.

I have already installed 6 residential windows in the new skinning steel at the front of the bus. They are two 4 foot high by 5 feet wide, two 4 foot high by 2 feet wide, and two 30 inch high by 5 feet wide.

For reference, my current build.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Also go read as many build threads as you can. The information inside each one in invaluable.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Roof raise and house windows is the best bang for the buck.

Some trip buses cut every second pillar out and install large 4 foot long sliding RV windows. So therefore cutting out every second rib should be fine.

At your height (6.6) I would not mess around. Do a 24 inch raise, vault the ceiling, and enjoy. You will be able to look out the window standing up vs laying down. lol

When mine is done, I will have a rub rail every 16 inches on the new skinning steel. This will make it hard to tell it was not factory.

I will also have a nice 24 inch by 24 inch window over the headboard of my bed. This window will be installed in the new skin steel.

I will also have a 30 by 30 window at the back of the bus where the door used to be. It will also be over the bed.

I have already installed 6 residential windows in the new skinning steel at the front of the bus. They are two 4 foot high by 5 feet wide, two 4 foot high by 2 feet wide, and two 30 inch high by 5 feet wide.

For reference, my current build.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Also go read as many build threads as you can. The information inside each one in invaluable.

Nat
Thank u all

Nat Ur build is awesome so far and will no doubt be amazing when finished. All I can say is thank god living in the south we don't have that big of a rust problem.

So far 2 people have sugested standard home windows but my concern is bumps and water. 1 The roads around here are pretty bad and busses are rough riding will they crack. 2 with the rattling and heating will the windows stay sealed enough to stay water tight. Now that being said I honestly have no clue one way or another, please let me know your thoughts

Thanks
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #16
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Currently in Appalachia.
Posts: 148
Here's a thread with some links to various window specs/technical details for comparison, and several opinions on the subject:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ho...olie-8697.html
__________________
~Pamela
SassyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Thank
I think I'm going to go with the canibalization option there a ton of old FEMA Trailers still sitting in a field close by that you can buy for a few hundred bucks

Has anyone else used a donor rv for things like
Water heater, black and gray water tank, stove fridge table
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dowdy Lakes, Colorado
Posts: 1,444
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Kev,

Watch Houston Auto Auction. There are some buses coming up soon that may fit what you are looking for in your price range, just sayin'.......

I work for Katy ISD in Katy TX......
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Posts: 1,753
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
When mine is done, I will have a rub rail every 16 inches on the new skinning steel. This will make it hard to tell it was not factory.
I had thought about doing the same thing, but wasn't sure I liked the look. I still may do it one of these days since I have the rails just lying around. The rails might look nice with accent paint on them, or something.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
Thank
I think I'm going to go with the canibalization option there a ton of old FEMA Trailers still sitting in a field close by that you can buy for a few hundred bucks

Has anyone else used a donor rv for things like
Water heater, black and gray water tank, stove fridge table
How long have these trailers been sitting around? I received a free fifth wheel the other day that has been sitting around in a field for years. It's in bad shape. Everything is rusted out and nasty. I wouldn't want to use any appliances from it. It's just a shed now.

On the other hand, I really like the propane stove I got from an old camper that was well cared for. Hardly a lick of rust and the paint is in good shape.
__________________
My build page: Armageddon - The Smell of Airborne Rust
jazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12
Katrina and Rita were 10 years ago so probably 8years
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×