Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #1

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Engine: VT365
Hello from Louisville, KY! (need suggestions)

Hi all,

My name is Tom and my girlfriend is Brookelyn! We are both 22 and finishing up our last year (or two lol) at university. We bought our 2005 international about 6 months ago right when this whole crazy pandemic thing started.

We are just now completing our roof raise and I am in need of some guidance. Maybe this isn't the right part of the forum for this but I am new here!

We are in the final steps of the roof raise and I want to create a smooth transition from the old sheet metal that is now overlapped by the new sheet metal that covers the giant hole we cut to raise the roof.

I have welded, riveted, and sealed everything but it looks kind of clunky. I have seen some people recommend Bondo, but after doing my research, it seems like bondo can chip away or crack over time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SHAMELESS PLUG : check out our instagram - @duckthebus

I am not sure they are on here or how to tag people but the people who are "Gus the Struggle Bus" have been a huge help in the way they explain their build. I enjoy the youtube channels where they actually get into the details of their work and explain their thought process so best of luck to them!!

Thank you all and excited to see everyone else's builds and crazy ideas

DuckTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTheBus View Post
Hi all,

My name is Tom and my girlfriend is Brookelyn! We are both 22 and finishing up our last year (or two lol) at university. We bought our 2005 international about 6 months ago right when this whole crazy pandemic thing started.

We are just now completing our roof raise and I am in need of some guidance. Maybe this isn't the right part of the forum for this but I am new here!

We are in the final steps of the roof raise and I want to create a smooth transition from the old sheet metal that is now overlapped by the new sheet metal that covers the giant hole we cut to raise the roof.

I have welded, riveted, and sealed everything but it looks kind of clunky. I have seen some people recommend Bondo, but after doing my research, it seems like bondo can chip away or crack over time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SHAMELESS PLUG : check out our instagram - @duckthebus

I am not sure they are on here or how to tag people but the people who are "Gus the Struggle Bus" have been a huge help in the way they explain their build. I enjoy the youtube channels where they actually get into the details of their work and explain their thought process so best of luck to them!!

Thank you all and excited to see everyone else's builds and crazy ideas
got any pics?
I am trying to figure out how to do my transition too....
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #3

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Engine: VT365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
got any pics?
I am trying to figure out how to do my transition too....
I am not sure how to upload pictures here, haha!
DuckTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Hello there! I have a 1999 International and we just made the trek from Windham, NH to Flemingsburg, KY. We may see you around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTheBus View Post
I am not sure how to upload pictures here, haha!
I have a HOWTO in my build thread:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/k...tml#post389728

I'm looking at the possibility of doing another build, this time with roof raise. Would be interested in seeing what you've got going so far if you'd be willing.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote