Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Year: 2005
Engine: 6.0 liter Powerstroke Diesel
Rated Cap: 14,500
HELLO!!! From Lynchburg, VA

Hi! Great to be on here and I have already learned so much. I bought this bus site unseen in Texas and drove it back to Virginia after replacing both batteries, 4 tires, and a little ether to start it. It runs great however and only had about 70k miles on it. I actually bought it with no idea that there was such a large following of people who did this, I was just thinking about something that would work great for moving stuff, storing stuff, and having a place to stay when wanted.

So honestly I was amazed when I googled school bus conversions and found this forum at how many people have and are doing conversions. I bought the short bus I have to basically park over on the National Seashore in North Carolina so we can use it in the summer as a beach cruiser. It’s a 2005 E-450 with a 6,0 liter turbo diesel. After reading many of the other posts it looks like many of the members have done a phenomenal job making some of these types of buses their own.

My intent was to not do much on the inside, make it pretty Spartan and use it to store beach stuff and stay on board on occasion...limited sleeping and other accommodation. Since it will be used primarily to drive on sandy beaches, I intend to put it on a lift, convert to 4wd, enhance the suspension, and put some larger tires on it for the deeper sand and water.

After seeing some of the posts, I’m now inspired to do more on the inside! I have lots of questions and lots to do and look forward to getting some advice from any willing to help!

More to follow!

Tennessee1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard! You might want to read up on the Ford 6.0L diesel engine. It has lots of power and runs great, but needs special attention to make it reliable. Good luck!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Year: 2005
Engine: 6.0 liter Powerstroke Diesel
Rated Cap: 14,500
Thanks for that input! I have learned a little already with that as all of the turbo boots are old, one primarily has been slipping and creates some issue. Working on that replacement as I read your note. Thanks again!!!
Tennessee1074 is offline   Reply With Quote