Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 98
Chassis: TC 2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 cummins mechanical
Smile Hello from Michigan

I learned a lot from this forum in the past, had joined but lost my signon ( not logged on for long time) Anyway this is David. We currently have a 98 BB TC Rear Engine 8.3. ( title says 98 but when I look at manuals we have a 97 dashboard and mechanical 8.3. Before this our 1st skoolie was an already converted 91TC front Engine with a 545. We had always wanted a MD6030world tranny after we about burned out our brakes 6 years ago with the 545 coming out of Flagstaff to Phoenix on I17 S had no transmission braking ( did not know it until we about died at 0200 going down the mountain- almost over the mountain!!!!) Anyway we had been looking for a TC RE but could not find one ( in budget) we finally found a couple of BB with the md6030 between Seattle and Portland Oregon. We found 1 way tickets for 90bucks from Detroit to Seattle and flew out not having any idea HOW or WHAT we were driving back. We ended up buying a totally different one at a dealership in the Seattle area than the ones we had found on Craigslist. The Bus Dealership was great( great price and condition and a world transmission with top speed of ( can't say -my brother in law is MSP- he would arrest me) and it gets 14mpg if I drive 55!!!) Anyway we put our suitcases between the seats ( it joined the L and R seat into 1 long bed) and bought sleeping bags at Walmart and drove 4 scenic days back to Michigan. What a difference the 8.3 with the world tranny. I could pass semi's going up hill at the posted speed limit., I could drive down steep mountains and the world tranny would keep us slow enough with NO brakes- NICE/ SAFE!!! Anyway we got home -painted the bus, pulled the seats and used steels shelves from menards as bunks and build platform in back for queen size bed over the engine. used kitchen from old bus and then sold original TC for 500 less than what new one cost! What a deal- rear engine, 8.3 and world tranny plus 200 in paint to upgrade from front engine 545. Anyway there is much more to the story but I don't want to bore you.

But now I have a starting issue I need desperate help with- I will post elsewhere

Bus dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I love hearing about folks GETTING their bus!
I had a real adventure, myself.
You got a great drivetrain and shopped in a good region for buses... Way to go man. Enjoy and POST PICS!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You got that right --- Allison makes some great trannies, but...a 545 anywhere that isn't billiard table flat is an expensive fix just waiting to happen.

Same for any tranny without adequate lockup.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus dad View Post
I learned a lot from this forum in the past, had joined but lost my signon ( not logged on for long time) Anyway this is David. We currently have a 98 BB TC Rear Engine 8.3. ( title says 98 but when I look at manuals we have a 97 dashboard and mechanical 8.3. Before this our 1st skoolie was an already converted 91TC front Engine with a 545. We had always wanted a MD6030world tranny after we about burned out our brakes 6 years ago with the 545 coming out of Flagstaff to Phoenix on I17 S had no transmission braking ( did not know it until we about died at 0200 going down the mountain- almost over the mountain!!!!) Anyway we had been looking for a TC RE but could not find one ( in budget) we finally found a couple of BB with the md6030 between Seattle and Portland Oregon. We found 1 way tickets for 90bucks from Detroit to Seattle and flew out not having any idea HOW or WHAT we were driving back. We ended up buying a totally different one at a dealership in the Seattle area than the ones we had found on Craigslist. The Bus Dealership was great( great price and condition and a world transmission with top speed of ( can't say -my brother in law is MSP- he would arrest me) and it gets 14mpg if I drive 55!!!) Anyway we put our suitcases between the seats ( it joined the L and R seat into 1 long bed) and bought sleeping bags at Walmart and drove 4 scenic days back to Michigan. What a difference the 8.3 with the world tranny. I could pass semi's going up hill at the posted speed limit., I could drive down steep mountains and the world tranny would keep us slow enough with NO brakes- NICE/ SAFE!!! Anyway we got home -painted the bus, pulled the seats and used steels shelves from menards as bunks and build platform in back for queen size bed over the engine. used kitchen from old bus and then sold original TC for 500 less than what new one cost! What a deal- rear engine, 8.3 and world tranny plus 200 in paint to upgrade from front engine 545. Anyway there is much more to the story but I don't want to bore you.

But now I have a starting issue I need desperate help with- I will post elsewhere
welcome back, thats a great story too
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 98
Chassis: TC 2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 cummins mechanical
no kidding- I think Life insurance companies should reject anyone that has a 545- otherwise they might go broke
Bus dad is offline   Reply With Quote