Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Hi and welcome aboard.
You may want to check out coach type busses [sic]. They typically have a long wheelbase and minimum tail swing. Prevost comes to mind. Some have tag axles for extra weight capacity. They're not always inexpensive but seem to be well made. I can't imagine powering one with electric without considerable expense, but I tend to be somewhat pragmatic about these things.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Hi and welcome aboard.
You may want to check out coach type busses [sic]. They typically have a long wheelbase and minimum tail swing. Prevost comes to mind. Some have tag axles for extra weight capacity. They're not always inexpensive but seem to be well made. I can't imagine powering one with electric without considerable expense, but I tend to be somewhat pragmatic about these things.
Thanks for such a constructive and helpful response. Yes, I agree about electrifying the bus drivetrain is going to be quite expensive to accomplish. However, I am a very creative inventor, so I envision the nearly impossible as my next project. LOL

Structurally, your suggestion has reduced ground clearance which is simply not acceptable for off-road use.

I am hoping for this to eventually become somewhat of an offroad overlanding rig. So it's a full stop on any low riders. LOL
Old 08-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Hi and welcome aboard. ...
I can't imagine powering one with electric without considerable expense, but I tend to be somewhat pragmatic about these things.
Right on, thanks. The battery ends up being around half the expense or even more, and I will be steadily increasing my battery size since I'm saving money from living off grid and no more monthly energy bills.

So by the time I am ready to electrify the drivetrain, the vehicle battery will already be purchased and installed in the bus. So for the most part, all I have to do is add the motors and controllers to complete the installation.

So "over time" and "gradual expense", pay only as much as you can afford, which ends up making the project not as expensive to accomplish as it might seem at first glance.

~~~

I simply can't be happy unless I'm living off the grid. I am an inventor of alternative energy solutions.

Humanity championing alternative energy. It's what the world needs the most but we talk about it the least.

Over time, I hope to find a deal on used electric drivetrains and collect them until I am ready to do the conversion. After the sheot hits the fan, there is no guarantee the gas stations will be refilled.

~~~

I feel about a thousand percent safer in an electric vehicle than I do a petroleum poison model. Gasoline and diesel are not forever. As for me and mine, we require life-preserving energy to foremost be reliable, not simply polluting yet temporarily convenient.
Closed Thread