Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Hello! From midcoast ME

Hello,

My name is Shawn. I'm a college student at the university of Maine. My partner, Dave, and I just bought a 95 gmc bluebird 72 passenger school bus with a Cat diesel and an Allison automatic tranny. (No speed demon) We are hoping to convert our bus for full time living with our two greyhound boxer mix pups, Ollie and goose. We picked up our bus last night and did a semi-legal, after dark, Stealth trip home to Searsmont, ME.

I'm hoping we can use this forum for help and advice, share ideas, share our progress, and to network with other builders. We have also started a website/blog to share our first bus build experience with friends and family and anyone else who might enjoy it.

If you have a free minute and want to check it out its ataraxybus.wordpress.com (our contact info is on there)

We are calling our bus Ataraxy which is in reference to the definition of ataraxia which means seeking tranquility and calmness. That's what this bus will be for us--a place to escape the craziness and monotony of our current lifestyle.

We look forward to starting this amazing journey and connecting with you folks!

Ataraxybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome!

Just wanted to be first to say Hello !

I am in early stages myself, should be a wild and interesting ride to get to completion.

People around here love pictures and details- Tell us more about your bus configuration.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

honestly I really don't know that much about my bus. It was only 1600$ and near my house and not rusted out so I just went for it. It is a front engine (not flat nose) 72 pass capacity with a side exit door. no lift or anything special. the body is a bluebird MY1996.

Salt air and salt on the roads eat thru metal here like crazy. finding a bus that wasn't a rust bucket seemed like a miracle.

I've gotten almost all of the seats out, the only ones left have the under seat heaters which I'm not sure yet how to remove those. I'm hoping to get the flooring and ceiling panels out soon. I want to seal the bolt holes and any other rust on the floor and ceiling, then insulate and recover with wood paneling on the ceiling and a plywood sub floor.

sorry for the delayed response. (work, the bus, and school--been pretty busy, but that's why i want to finish this bus so I can have a simpler lifestyle.)
If I find out more about the bus and learn how to post pics, I'll post it.
Ataraxybus is offline   Reply With Quote