Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500 Dually
Engine: 6.0 Gas V8 > GMC/Chevy
Rated Cap: 14 - 12,500 GVWR
Hello from New England

Jumpin’ on the bandwagon here...

Wifey and I are building out a mini that we bought last September. Sunny is a 2005 GMC Savana 3500 6.0-liter gas dually with a Corbeil coach. We bought it from a fella who bought it from a local prep school in CT (he worked there too). It has/had a lot of rust in weird places (think it was parked in a puddle), but we’ve gotten most of that cleared up already. Only 99k on the clock.

We got it at a time (it may be still be ‘the time’) when school buses were not available at all locally, like kayaks were the year before, but we lucked out I think because the PO listed it as just a ‘van’.

So we became skoolieists sort of by economic accident as we were looking to upgrade to a travel trailer, up from a vintage popup camper I restored, but the prices went absolutely bananas. We also heard camper quality was suffering too for supply-chain and demand as well.

Anywho, we’re not done by any stretch, but we’re a lot further along than the blog suggests. If you’re interested in that, it’s SunnyTheBus.com.

The plans are thrice-fold for this rig. We’re not going to be full-timers (I like my home-base), but we will use it for my wife’s worksite wellness business, general camping and extended road trips, and for hauling around my stage rally car. I am a writer/graphic designer by trade, but do have plenty of DIY automotive experience. Building a house on wheels though, that’s a whole new thing to both of us.

Slapdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Hey OP, your thread was held for moderation due to the links. I cleaned up the HTML and CSS in there (please don't do that!) and approved the post.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Nice. Sounds like you might have some trade skills in your background if you've already gotten some of the chassis work done...
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! Not sure what I did, but thanks for clearing it up!
Old 11-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Nice. Sounds like you might have some trade skills in your background if you've already gotten some of the chassis work done...

Thanks! Years of DIY and YouTube University, with a lot of pro help from friends along the way. Mostly from the rally world.

Tags
corbeil