Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Talking Hello from New Mexico! Soon-to-be first time builder.

I'm guessing my story is pretty common! After 5+yrs of toying with the idea of a sprinter van but not being able to commit for mostly financial reasons - I had a long chat with a cousin the other day. He was basically like "so... you don't want to settle down and buy a house right now and you don't want to pay rent anymore - sounds like you need to live in a bus!". He was totally joking - but I'm not!

I'm in my late 20s with a stable remote job - and my folks are finally moving into a house in the woods and out of their condo. We get along well, so they've said I'm fine to go ahead and build it in their driveway and live rent-free during the process. That's awesome! With the $2k/mo+ I'm wasting on rent in the city right now + equity in my truck I'll have about $24k to invest, with the goal of saving $4-6k in cash for breakdowns etc.

Looking at a 5-window bus for the time being.

One question for y'all off the top of my head: I'll be continuing to work all summer while building the bus - I can't afford to lose this job. However, I *can* afford to pay folks to help keep up the momentum. Anyone here had experience with hired help in this way?

Cheers & thanks!

extramoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Unless the hired help comes with verifiable references you may be disappointed. What part on NM are you in?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Unless the hired help comes with verifiable references you may be disappointed. What part on NM are you in?
I'm in Santa Fe for the time being, planning to purchase the bus here and *possibly* strip it before driving to mid-coast Maine to finish the build.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
I’m in Santa Fe too, and would consider helping out on whatever you need doing. I have more time than money at the moment! We can talk privately if it comes to that. I have 40 acres down near cerrillos where no one bothers you and I have most of the tools needed to do anything so it’s easy here.

There’s a really cool looking 5 or 6 window bus in springer that’s up for auction (may have passed) and it seems like there are a lot of decent busses around here. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for, and let me know if i can be of any help, or even if you want to check out my bus to get an idea of what bus life is all about.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
I’m in Santa Fe too, and would consider helping out on whatever you need doing. I have more time than money at the moment! We can talk privately if it comes to that. I have 40 acres down near cerrillos where no one bothers you and I have most of the tools needed to do anything so it’s easy here.

There’s a really cool looking 5 or 6 window bus in springer that’s up for auction (may have passed) and it seems like there are a lot of decent busses around here. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for, and let me know if i can be of any help, or even if you want to check out my bus to get an idea of what bus life is all about.
Word!!! I would love to meet up and share a brew and hear your stories and insights for sure. I'll send a PM!
Old 02-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
And...for either one of you in NM...we're just West of Flagstaff, so a straight shot westward on I-40 for you. I'm happy to donate a couple of hours of welding or bracket fab if you are mobile and need something like that, or electrical or plumbing, done. My wife and I love Santa Fe - who doesn't?
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
And...for either one of you in NM...we're just West of Flagstaff, so a straight shot westward on I-40 for you. I'm happy to donate a couple of hours of welding or bracket fab if you are mobile and need something like that, or electrical or plumbing, done. My wife and I love Santa Fe - who doesn't?
Wow - I've been on this forum for all of an hour and already feeling like y'all are my people. Amazingly generous, thank you! I doubt I'll make it out to flagstaff any time before the build is completed, but consider yourself invited out to my fam camp in Maine this summer if you're in that area! PM me for details
Old 02-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post

I read some of the offers you’ve made before for all of us fellow nuts and appreciate all of it!

My bus needs kingpins and I’m mostly just using it as a temporary house at the moment while I work on my straw bale house but I’ll definitely drop by at some point in the future.

This area has few people but a ton of skoolies and off-gridders. I’m glad I made it my new home.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote