Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 72pas 29k GVW
Hello from New York

New here, name is Nick. About a year ago I saw a picture of a school bus that was converted into a toy hauler. Seeing as how I have a built Jeep and enjoy offloading, I thought this would be awesome to have a Jeep Hauler/camper in one. Being that I work for a transportation company, more importantly a School Bus transportation company, I knew eventually I would have the opportunity to purchase a bus. That opportunity came a few weeks ago. I'm a lead tech and I was assigned to a location that wasn't doing to we'll and I've turned it around. So now occasionally I get sent to other locations to help. I helped at one location that is currently replacing some of their fleet and ended up getting this 02 International/Amtran at a price even I still can't comprehend,especially with the work it has had done in the last year. It is powered by a T444e mated to an Allison 2500. Just removed from service. Only issue is a small coolant leak at a fitting in a mid ship heater. Has new rubber, new brakes, new high pressure pump, new floors, rebuilt king pins, and the list goes on. It was only removed from service due to age. I am excited about this project.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1480799687954.jpg  

n.page.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
.. And the bus nation grows! Welcome to the madness.

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome Nick! *also Nick *
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 72pas 29k GVW
Went and picked it up this past Thursday. Hasn't started in over a month and it's been in the 20's at night and 30's to 40's during the day. Started right up first try after one glow plug cycle. Had to fix a minor coolant leak between the midship heaters and away we went. Only other issue is the fuel gauge isn't working but they gave it to me with 40 gallons of diesel still in the tank. Didn't know this until I went to fill it and it only took 20 gallons (60 gallon tank).

Buying from the company I work for and being one that goes to other locations to help them catch up on services, I was fortunate enough to be the one to the last service on this bus, so I knew how nice it was. I was also lucky enough to get a bus that someone somewhere forgot to change the limiter to 55mph which is NYS law for School Buses. This one is actually set at 70mph and has no problems running and maintaining 70. Sits at 2250rpms cruising down the highway.

Still sitting here and can't comprehend how I got it for the price I paid. I think most of you would bring out the pitchforks if you knew what I paid.
n.page.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
No pitchforks here...we LOVE seeing folks get a deal on a good skoolie! Sounds like you are off to the races with a great start.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote