Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
Hello from Newark Ohio

Hello everyone....Newbie here.
I invite everyone that lives in Ohio and/or has a bus like mine/or similar to mine to add themselves to my friends list, and anyone else of coarse.
Yesterday, I bought a blue 1987 International Navistar S-1700 "Schoolmaster", more accurately model 1753 with a 6.9L IDI diesel engine, Allison AT545 4 speed automatic, 50,953 actual miles, AmTran model SS-22 (serial number 28541) 28 Adult PASS, (not to big or to small) with an auxiliary diesel engine and separate fuel tank that runs an A/C and alternator system. No rust anywhere, no dents or anything. It's an old Air Force bus. I think I got a very nice deal for $2,000.00 plus $145.00 county tax. Total $2,145.00.
I intend to make it into an R.V..
Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
p.s., I drove it home yesterday and I don't remember busses being as slow or lacking power as mine was.
Well, that's something to talk about
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,721
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome

I have a similar bus, as does Famousinternetjesus.

My build is here, it's pretty basic.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/pr...llet-9266.html

I realize now that I haven't updated it in awhile. So I'll probably do that sometime soon as long as I don't forget.

Jesus did alot more to his as far as drivetrain upgrades. He added an auxiliary transmission, swapped in a manual transmission, and added a turbo kit. A lot of things that I would love to do if I used it frequently/lived in it full time.

You can find his thread here.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/19...bus-11642.html

I only use mine for a weekend get away type deal a few times a year so most of the stuff he did wouldn't be worth it for me.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 592
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Are you on the Wolverine sight? And welcome from Cuyahoga Falls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post
Hello everyone....Newbie here.
I invite everyone that lives in Ohio and/or has a bus like mine/or similar to mine to add themselves to my friends list, and anyone else of coarse.
Yesterday, I bought a blue 1987 International Navistar S-1700 "Schoolmaster", more accurately model 1753 with a 6.9L IDI diesel engine, Allison AT545 4 speed automatic, 50,953 actual miles, AmTran model SS-22 (serial number 28541) 28 Adult PASS, (not to big or to small) with an auxiliary diesel engine and separate fuel tank that runs an A/C and alternator system. No rust anywhere, no dents or anything. It's an old Air Force bus. I think I got a very nice deal for $2,000.00 plus $145.00 county tax. Total $2,145.00.
I intend to make it into an R.V..
Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
p.s., I drove it home yesterday and I don't remember busses being as slow or lacking power as mine was.
Well, that's something to talk about
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
Thank you
I'll be sure to check him out.
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
No, What is the Wolverine sight.
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Carytowncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 932
Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
That seems a great deal, congrats!


PS; This bus seemed super slow driving home for the first time, but after being filled with all my belongings it seems a whisker too fast and i tend to ease off the gas now. Perspective has changed a bit in the past six months.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,076
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome!! from C-Bus here!!! Nice to see a fellow central ohioan!!

I have 2 busses, though they are not campers.. one is a Mobile DEV lab, the other is a daily driver (yep a grocery getter! and road trip machine)..

school busses can be slow, yours may be geared low if it came from ohio here as Many school routes in central ohio have zero freeway needed. . so many busses in this area were geared as to never need to run above 45-50 MPH.. its pretty easy to tell if you are dealing with a fuelscrew or spring governor, or if its gearing is the issue..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,721
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What rpm are you turning in 4th gear? The 8.25x20 are a little shorter then my 10r22.5 but not 20 mph short. My bus runs the same gearing and I can go 70-75 after a few miles. Yeah it will slow down going up hills due to being redlined but it will maintain 50-55 mph pretty consistently.

I'd check the tv cable for your trans and make sure that is adjusted correctly. As far as top speed goes, I'd really need to know your rpm in order to tell you where to look.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,382
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Cool!
Great to see another Air Force Bus on here!!!

Was yours an ambulance or a passenger bus? Edit: never understand, I see 28 passengers
Get us some pics

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/im...now-14306.html









__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,076
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
When I got Dev it had 10r22.5 and 4.78 gears I maxxed at 64 running 2700-2800 rpm... now with 11r22.5 tires it goes 68 at that rpm.. with 5.77 gears I don't see a bus being able to reach 70+ unless it's revving way up there
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 592
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post
No, What is the Wolverine sight.
Its all about Yamaha wolverine side by sides. There is a DrPorterhouse on that sight and I just assumed it was you.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,721
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
When I got Dev it had 10r22.5 and 4.78 gears I maxxed at 64 running 2700-2800 rpm... now with 11r22.5 tires it goes 68 at that rpm.. with 5.77 gears I don't see a bus being able to reach 70+ unless it's revving way up there
Christopher
You got a different engine kid. Peak hp on a 6.9 idi is 3300, with redline being over 3500. 3300 with a 1:1 trans ratio, 5.57 axle ratio, 10r22.5 tires with a diameter of 40.2 inches gives you 70 mph. 75 mph is acheived at 3500.

Coincidentally, those are the exact numbers that I see with my bus with the same engine, trans, and rear axle ratio that he has.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,076
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
You got a different engine kid. Peak hp on a 6.9 idi is 3300, with redline being over 3500. 3300 with a 1:1 trans ratio, 5.57 axle ratio, 10r22.5 tires with a diameter of 40.2 inches gives you 70 mph. 75 mph is acheived at 3500.

Coincidentally, those are the exact numbers that I see with my bus with the same engine, trans, and rear axle ratio that he has.
wow!! I never saw a truck engine tgat ran those nice high revs! cool stuff

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Hello Mr. Porterhouse! Welcome from the Dayton area Nice to see so many Ohoians on here! I am a total newb too - still in the planning stages actually. Still, I sent you a friend request, can't wait to see your dream come to life!
DreadKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
Well I did the first step....I took out all the seats
Except the front seat on the passenger side.
Next step I did was to decide where the toiler/bath/sink is going to go dependent on where I can place the Fresh water and black tank. They will need to go on the passenger side behind the rear tire. Then my kitchen (with drain/supply) needs to go on the left/drivers side because I have a huge A/C that I don't want to bang my head on all the time.
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
Stewzer55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 142
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Wow, sure a lot of Ohio people here. Welcome, I've been lurking here for a while. Other stuff in life has to come before even getting a bus for me, but that's just life.
Stewzer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,076
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post
Well I did the first step....I took out all the seats
Except the front seat on the passenger side.
Next step I did was to decide where the toiler/bath/sink is going to go dependent on where I can place the Fresh water and black tank. They will need to go on the passenger side behind the rear tire. Then my kitchen (with drain/supply) needs to go on the left/drivers side because I have a huge A/C that I don't want to bang my head on all the time.
the A/C is already in the bus or is one you are installing? if its a coach A/C system (meaning designed for when you are driving).. those sometimes can be moved to a better place in the bus depending on what type it is..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
Mr. Porterhouse has been my CB handle for the last 30 years
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #19
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Newark, OH
Posts: 7
Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTran SS-22, 28 PASS
Chassis: INT NAVISTAR S-1753 "Schoolmaster"
Engine: 5.9L IDI, Allison AT 545, 5.57 Axle (I think)
Rated Cap: 28 Adult Passengers
The bus has a separate 2 cylinder diesel engine running an a/c pump and alternator mounted behind the rear wheels on the drivers side and has a separate diesel fuel tank beside the main engine fuel tank. On the inside drivers side up high is a massive 6 foot long cooling condensers with a bunch of fans to move the cold a/c. You can have a/c while parked with the main engine off or use it while cruising down the road and not taking any power away from the main engine
MrPorterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,076
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post
The bus has a separate 2 cylinder diesel engine running an a/c pump and alternator mounted behind the rear wheels on the drivers side and has a separate diesel fuel tank beside the main engine fuel tank. On the inside drivers side up high is a massive 6 foot long cooling condensers with a bunch of fans to move the cold a/c. You can have a/c while parked with the main engine off or use it while cruising down the road and not taking any power away from the main engine

LOVE that type of A/C setup where you have a pony engine to run it so you can use it when parked!! good stuff
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
28 pass, 6.9l diesel, amtran, int navistar, s-1700 1753 schoolmaster

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×