Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Hello from northeast Ohio

Been lurking a while. made a couple posts about the bus I was trying to get from the local school district. Finally yesterday I drove her home. Once I got her in the driveway I started asking myself "what have I done?, am I ready for this?" Second thoughts running wild I guess.

Got a pretty good deal buying direct for scrap price. Although it was such a pain for the district I don't think they'll sell another bus privately. It has some rust, looks minor but its hard to say because around here it never is. It will need tires because they took the newer ones off and put on some 'may-pops' so I could drive it home.

Its a 2008 Thomas model 0908S with 9 windows. About 28' long with a Allison 2500 transmission, I think 5 speed cause it has a circle around the D on shift. Perfect size for what I want to use it for. Only has 21k miles and was used very little. I think the hours are about 5700 but maybe wrong on that.

I have little diesel knowledge but I've worked on many gas motors and will attempt to perform most maintenance myself. Hoping to learn more here as time goes on.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Bus.jpg  

dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome aboard! I am also in NE Ohio.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Welcome Dave... Lots of Buckeyes on this sight.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Welcome to the madness!

The circle 'D' is the universal symbol for o/d and the 2500 does have a .74 fifth speed. New as your bus is "unlocking" a 6th speed may be possible but it's all about paying for a software reprogramming -- might not be worth it depending on how you'll use the bus...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Skoolie

Hello from northeast Ohio

Started working on the bus today. Removed all the school decals and covered the larger school bus stickers on top as they were too much for me to tackle right now. I just had carpel tunnel and trigger finger surgery last week and hand not fully functional yet.

I have rust issues. I know many will say run away but here in Ohio we deal with it. I’ve never taken on metal work before but looks like I’m going to learn. I plan on power washing the underside and see how bad it is. The floor is actually pretty solid but the floor supports are going to need cleaned up. The rear door would not hardly close after I opened it from the rust. Have a few quarter sized holes which will get bigger once I start working on them.

On the plus side I was cruising the highway at 68 and RPMs were about 2300. Seems to top out there but I’m good with that.

All the windows are in good shape and initial look shows I just need to recaulk a bit I think
Old 02-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
My bus came from R.I....
Solid over all but there's a couple spots that will need reconstruction -- not just patching. I'd say it's a great place to learn metal fab. It's all mostly right angles and the work won't show when done -- just needs to be solid.

Keep spraying bike chain lube on the door hinge. Mine squeaked when I got it but now it don't and more importantly the hinge moves instead of stressing the sheet-metal when you open/close the door!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Check out my build thread. My bus is (getting closer to "was" now) pretty rusty and I've had to rebuild a good part of the rusted-out areas. You might get some hint of what you'll be facing and some ideas for dealing with it.

I'm also from NE Ohio originally (Akron area). Go Browns.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Check out my build thread. My bus is (getting closer to "was" now) pretty rusty and I've had to rebuild a good part of the rusted-out areas. You might get some hint of what you'll be facing and some ideas for dealing with it.

I'm also from NE Ohio originally (Akron area). Go Browns.
yep, I'm in Akron. Thanks for sharing your build thread. I'm reading and seeing just what I need to do. What did you use to cut the rusty metal out?
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
yep, I'm in Akron. Thanks for sharing your build thread. I'm reading and seeing just what I need to do. What did you use to cut the rusty metal out?
I usually just use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and/or a pair of Harbor Freight electric shears (which can cut down to 14 ga no problem). The guy I hired to repair my floor for me (who flaked out early and left me to do the job myself, thankfully) did all the cutting of the giant hole around the wheel wells. Angle grinders terrify me (I've twice had them fly out of my hands while cutting stock) so I was more than happy to let somebody else do that job.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
Skoolie

I also noticed my fuel tank is pretty wet with fuel. Don’t know if it’s wet from the top down or what. Any common leak areas on these Thomas buses?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Akron. I live in Cuyahoga Fall , but I store my stuff in Akron (goodyear heights) by East High school. Small world...
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote