Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #1

Hello from Northern Indiana

Hello - My name is Jason and I live in far North Central Indiana (15 minutes from Notre Dame). I've recently started looking into bus conversions and my wife and I are all in on the planning stages of our own bus conversion. She is starting a nurse practitioner program next January and our plan is to hit the road traveling while she does locum tenens jobs wherever we want to go next. I'm an engineering manager and will be freelancing or just finding side work wherever I can so as to not be bored.

In all the research I've done and videos I've watched, we are most interested in a rear engine transit style bus with a raised roof. I have been looking at auctions as I can just to get ideas on conditions and prices, but we are probably a year or so away from making a purchase. I couldn't do the conversion at my house now but we own 5 acres of land so I think I'm going to get a structure built there to house the bus while converting that will also give us somewhere to come back to on occasion.

I'm pretty handy and plan to do all of the conversion myself with the exception of the charging system. I just don't have enough confidence in my electrical abilities to plan and lay out an entire power system. I understand some elements of solar and conversion and all that to know how a system operates but nowhere near enough to be comfortable doing all of the wiring and then turning the system on

Anyhow - I just thought I would introduce myself because I will definitely be at least lurking quite heavily on here for a while and probably asking a lot of questions. If anyone lives in the region and would be willing, I would love to talk with you and maybe see your conversions.

- Jason

woody350ep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
welcome from another Hoosier. I'm probably not too far if you want to visit.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody350ep View Post
Hello - My name is Jason and I live in far North Central Indiana (15 minutes from Notre Dame). I've recently started looking into bus conversions and my wife and I are all in on the planning stages of our own bus conversion. She is starting a nurse practitioner program next January and our plan is to hit the road traveling while she does locum tenens jobs wherever we want to go next. I'm an engineering manager and will be freelancing or just finding side work wherever I can so as to not be bored.

In all the research I've done and videos I've watched, we are most interested in a rear engine transit style bus with a raised roof. I have been looking at auctions as I can just to get ideas on conditions and prices, but we are probably a year or so away from making a purchase. I couldn't do the conversion at my house now but we own 5 acres of land so I think I'm going to get a structure built there to house the bus while converting that will also give us somewhere to come back to on occasion.

I'm pretty handy and plan to do all of the conversion myself with the exception of the charging system. I just don't have enough confidence in my electrical abilities to plan and lay out an entire power system. I understand some elements of solar and conversion and all that to know how a system operates but nowhere near enough to be comfortable doing all of the wiring and then turning the system on [emoji2]

Anyhow - I just thought I would introduce myself because I will definitely be at least lurking quite heavily on here for a while and probably asking a lot of questions. If anyone lives in the region and would be willing, I would love to talk with you and maybe see your conversions.

- Jason
Welcome the adventure...I've got family down in the Morgantown area...Arnold and McClain...don't worry, we're all mad here...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #4

Hey somewhere - Andrews is definitely not far. Isn't that where Salamonie is? I go there a couple times a year. I checked out your website...you've definitely got some things that you've done that I would love to pick your brain about! I've been doing a lot of thinking on heating/cooling and heated floors. So far, you're only the second one that I've seen doing it and your system is intriguing. I'd love to talk more about it and maybe see it. Salamonie is less than 2 hours from my house. If you'd be willing to, I'd love to possibly tour it and discuss some things on your heating/electrical/etc. systems.
woody350ep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Salamonie is only 10 miles from me. I'l PM you with pnone #.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote