Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Hello from NY

I have been on here for a little bit and wanted to say Hello. Donít have a bus yet but we are looking, holding off until we have figured out where we are going to park/store for a reasonable price. Thatís our only holdup. Storage facilities nearby have nothing available but being a rural area might find something as an alternative. Parking at home, without removing several large trees, wonít be an option. Working on it would be fine but long term would be an issue.

Found out that NY, even titled as motorhome/RV over 26k needs a CDL so hoping to find a full size bus set up as partial wheelchair because from what Iíve seen they are usually a lower GVWR. Worst case, I could use a CDL for other purposes so not a huge deal to get it. Itís me, my wife and two kids so shooting to get as much room as possible.

So glad I found the site, solid community and answers for just about everything that could possible come up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
No, it doesn't need a CDL, even in NY.

It might need a Non-Commercial Class B, on your regular license (I haven't checked).
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Did they bring the non commercial B/C back? When I was looking at the weights it just said a class B. I know they eliminated the non CDL C a while back. Regardless if Iím changing license at all I would go CDL because I occasionally could benefit from a CDL (need hazmat endorsement for side work) Would be reimbursed too. Just havenít gone back and gotten it again. Usdd to have CDL C with HazMat, until 2007, before the fingerprinting was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,401
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
From the NY DMV:

A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

Note: The requirement for an "R" endorsement (Class D or Class E license) to operate a recreational vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more remains in effect
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.