Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

Talking Hello from Ohio!

Hi all! My name is Kristin, my husband is John and we have five kids ages 4.5 to 12. Ever since I was a child I wanted to live in a mobile space and dreamed about owning a VW bus or gypsy caravan and my husband shares the same adventurous spirit. With so many kids we were finding that we just couldn't seem to find a traditional "off the rack" RV that checked all the boxes for needs that didn't cost an arm and a leg, not to mention that aesthetically they just weren't doing it for us. We're a bit on the quirky/eccentric side you could say. So now we're on the hunt for a bus to convert. We don't have plans to live in it full time because it just wouldn't be the best for our kids, but maybe into the future when they're all grown we cant embrace the nomadic life. For now we just want/need it for camping weekends and summer road trips. We're quite the DIYers and my husband has over ten years experience as a diesel mechanic so I'm sure we'll make some mistakes along the way but I feel fairly confident that we can make this dream a reality. I've been pouring over these forums and am slightly overwhelmed at all the information, but the planner in me loves it all the same.

MacabreMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMom View Post
Hi all! My name is Kristin, my husband is John and we have five kids ages 4.5 to 12. Ever since I was a child I wanted to live in a mobile space and dreamed about owning a VW bus or gypsy caravan and my husband shares the same adventurous spirit. With so many kids we were finding that we just couldn't seem to find a traditional "off the rack" RV that checked all the boxes for needs that didn't cost an arm and a leg, not to mention that aesthetically they just weren't doing it for us. We're a bit on the quirky/eccentric side you could say. So now we're on the hunt for a bus to convert. We don't have plans to live in it full time because it just wouldn't be the best for our kids, but maybe into the future when they're all grown we cant embrace the nomadic life. For now we just want/need it for camping weekends and summer road trips. We're quite the DIYers and my husband has over ten years experience as a diesel mechanic so I'm sure we'll make some mistakes along the way but I feel fairly confident that we can make this dream a reality. I've been pouring over these forums and am slightly overwhelmed at all the information, but the planner in me loves it all the same.
welcome!!! I just had my redByrd over at the starbucks in PickTown a few days ago
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome! Excited to see whuch bus find y'all.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Kristin!

If you look about a bit you will find the blogs of families that have gone full time on the road with good success. One of my favorites is Bumfuzzle | Live Small, Venture Wide. I met them down in Mexico while they were living on their sail boat. They traded that for a class A RV and now a jeep & travel trailer.

Full time with the kids traveling North, Central and South America.

That may not be the lifestyle for you but it does for some.

Have Fun!!

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome Kristin!

If you look about a bit you will find the blogs of families that have gone full time on the road with good success. One of my favorites is Bumfuzzle | Live Small, Venture Wide. I met them down in Mexico while they were living on their sail boat. They traded that for a class A RV and now a jeep & travel trailer.

Full time with the kids traveling North, Central and South America.

That may not be the lifestyle for you but it does for some.

Have Fun!!

S.
I hope I didn't come across as making some kind of judgment about families who fulltime. It's just that my husband is active duty military so we don't really have the luxury to just pick up and go where we want when we want. We've also moved our kids 11 times between several cities and four different states in the past 13 years because of the military and our last state to state move was incredibly hard on our oldest three kids who are school aged. They're basically over having to leave friends and trusted adults behind at this point. I do think it sounds like wonderful life for some families, but it's definitely not for us right now. It will be lovely to have a home on wheels the next time the Army decides we need to pick up and go, but hopefully that won't be for some time. Honestly depending on how far away it is from where we are now, I'd probably just stay behind with the kids and my husband could take the bus and live in it.
MacabreMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Always happy to see another Buckeye on this forum!!! Welcome. I use my shuttle bus for camping at ATV events and the occasional nascar and concerts.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote